icon

Replacing stock 8 sub on 2002 Tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
waterspam 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone who owns a Tahoe will probably agree with my comment that there is a serious lack of bass with the stock system.  I want to add more bass to the system but still make everything look stock and not loose any cargo space.  So I decided to replace the stock 8" sub in the back with a 10" sub powered by a new amp.

I decided to go with fiberglass because of the lack of room behind the stock driver-side rear panel when the 8" sub now resides--I need .75 ft3 for the new sub I'm going to use.

Has anyone in this forum done this before?  I'm looking for any tips or caveats you ran into while doing this?  Like vibration, etc.

-Chris

ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
You will literally have to cut a hole in your vehicle to get the right amount of airspace and to have room for the sub to even fit. Notice that triangular obstruction? That is a sheetmetal cover that covers the fuel filler neck, you will need to very carefully cut this out, and then start fiberglassing that side body panel. make your front baffle and then glass it together. if cutting a hole in your car is not kosher JL Audio makes a center console box forthat and it houses a 10 inch sub
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
waterspam 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2003 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice.  I was so focused on getting the right amount of volume that I overlooked the fact to check the depth of the sub driver itself.  I bet you will be right when I go to measure things up.  I really don't feel like cutting into the sheet metal so this might be a show stopper for me.

-Chris

jareed 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

if you dont want to cut into the metal, why dont you just replace it with a better quality 8" sub? my friend did it in a new tahoe and it slammed. he installed an eclipse 87081.4 pushing 300w and damn, it sounded mighty impressive. he did however installed it in an inverted fashion with the magnet sticking out to gain as much volume as he needed...i dont know if this will help your situation or not...just a thought.....

.j.

waterspam 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been wondering about that idea too. 

That was the option a couple local car audio shops had.  However, they would have needed to create a new fiberglass enclosure for it and the quote for the labor was $200 at one shop and $400 at the other.  So along with the new sub and amp I was looking at almost $800 to replace the factory 8" with another 8".  I was afraid I was going to spend too much and not hear much difference.

-Chris

amador 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
your best bet is to go to www.jlaudio.com and check out the stealth box for your truck i think you will be impressed if you decied you want to go that way let me know and i will help you find the best deal good luck
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Good idea. Replacing stock 8 sub on 2002 Tahoe -- posted image.
jareed 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

i dont think you need to replace the enclosure...just invert the driver and it should have enough volume. $800 dollars is a bit much. the driver i referenced is around $150, but can be had for $135. even though i havent heard the stock 8" in the tahoe, i can probably guess that the eclipse will out perform it. and if you dont want to do that, id go with amadors suggestion. jl makes good stuff. good luck1

.j.

soundwaveaudio1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
Qlogic makes a inclosures that fit on the rear doors it holds a 10" in each door
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
go to etronics.com and look at the rfd2208 its the rockford fosgate punch hx2 and needs .7-1 cu ft and will pound in that car if running at about 300watts/.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic