icon

Custom Tweeter Installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yosuthnmasa 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
I just bought a CDT component set-CL61. I've decided to install the tweeters in the door panel of my 2000 Toyota Tacoma since there are no stock tweeter locations. I'm pretty new to custom installations and don't know how to install them the right way and make it look professional. Any suggestions on how to install them. I've read posts about cusom baffles, etc. How do you secure the tweeter to the door panel? How do you make it flush with the vinyl and stay secure? Should I mount flush or with the domes that are included? Also, how do I wire it to the crossover, amp, 6.5''s, and HU? What is the best way to wire it. Please explain for the newbie.
Josh
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
How you mount the tweeters is pretty much a personal prefernce on your part.  Which ever way you think will look and sound good to you is the way to go.  Flush mounting the tweeter involves cutting a hole in the door panel-which you would need a hole saw for that.  The tweeter usually comes with a snap ring to hold it in place when you put it in. It pretty much looks professional when you do it that way.  Just dont make the whole too big.  If you don't think you would do it right, I would suggest taking the door panels to a local car audio shop in your area and having them cut the holes for you. 
yosuthnmasa 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

What about wiring the mids and tweeters with the crossover and amplifier?

Josh
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

are you using the factory toyota radio or an after market radio?

yosuthnmasa 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
Aftermarket Stereo
Josh
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
Well, there are couple of ways that you can do that.  You can use the speaker outputs from the radio and directly go the inputs on the crossover.  Or you could use the RCA outputs on the radio and go to the RCA inputs on the Amp and connect the speaker outputs from the amp to the inputs on the crossover.  Depending on the setup, people generally go directly from the radio to the input on the crossover and connect the radio's RCA outputs to the amp for additional speakers such as subwoofers.  
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Well, since the rms rating on these components is 190w rms, I would probably recommend you use the rca outputs on the back of your deck to an amp, then run 16 gauge (or larger) speaker wire to the crossover network. The most (assuming you have a normal head unit, not a freakishly expensive one) you are going to get from that head unit is about 30 watts, which is 160 watts shy of the rms rating on your components. You will be very happy with the CDT set, but you gotta power them right!!!
Cary
yosuthnmasa 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys. However, when I got the CDT Cl-61 set I found they didn't fit in my door speakers. They were too deep for the 6 1/2'' holes in my door. Do you guys know anyone that has been able to fit this component set in a 2000 Toyota Tacoma?
Josh
Gilateen 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

can you run rca's and speaker wires from your head unit?

anyone?

Gilateen 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
can you connect the front/rear speaker wires to other speakers (i.e. tweeters) and have the rca's lead to an amp? also if the tweeters are hooked up to the radio wiring, what type of filter would be needed?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic