Please Help A Desperate Man

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SoundSaturn 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hello.

This is my first post on this forum, and I must say I am impressed with the website. There's a wealth of information here I could have only dreamed possible. With that said, I'd like to get down to business, as my current problem is driving me slowly to madness.

I bought a 1995 Saturn SL1 three months ago, and have since started customizing it to fit my taste. So far, I've wired it up for the later addition of a subwoofer sound system and done some fiberglass work to the dash and center console. Last week I purchased a DEI Hornet 554T alarm/remote start system on eBay and have since called and asked several 12v dealerships to professionally install this unit. They refuse to for a few different reasons:

1. I did not purchase the unit from them.

2. They do not install DEI units.

3. The alarm is too complicated and might not work right (they don't want to be liable)

I've been told on a different forum I frequent that this alarm is no more complicated than others with similar features that these shops do sell. I have never installed an alarm or remote start unit before, however I am an experienced car audio installer and a well-established shade tree mechanic :)

I basically need some opinions on whether this system is too complicated for a rookie to attempt to install, a complete wiring diagram for a 1995 Saturn SL1, any suggestions, tips or comments on installing this particular unit, installing a unit in a 95 Saturn and just any tricks of the trade in general to help get me started.....

If all else fails, if you know the name of a good installer in the state of Ohio, Northern Kentucky, Northern West Virginia or Eastern Indiana that would be willing to install this alarm for me, please leave their contact information or email it to me at donnballenger@yahoo.com

Pimpin' a Saturn ain't easy!
ThaScarecrow 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago when a friend of mine asked if I could install an alarm for him.  I'm a fairly advanced car audio installer and I do all the work on my car.  I did some quick reading and looked over some alarm manulas and decided to take a crack at it.  ended up getting it all working great, kit was a Viper unit with starter kill, parking lamp flash, backup siren, keyless entry, shock sensor.  It does take some time especially if it's your first but if you have a good electronics understanding you should be fine.  You just need to know how to use a DMM and undertsnad how relays work, etc.

I had a quick look at your alarm manual online and it seems like a fairly straight forward install.  As far as I could see it's a fairly normal alarm with remote start.  I have yet to attempt to install a remote start system but it doesn't look like it would be too difficult.  If I were you I'd take a crack at it, if you've got the electronics knowledge it shouldn't be a problem.  Just make sure you get the wiring info for your car before you start.  You can find it here:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1994-95&make=Saturn&model=SL&ID=18868&type=Alarm

SoundSaturn 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help. That wiring schematic is the only thing I was lacking to get me started. I'm going to get in there tomorrow and start trying to get it working.

In your opinion, where's the best place to mount the brain, shock sensor, siren, etc.?

Should I use slide connectors or something of that sort to splice the wires or just strip and solder?

I wish I had somebody here to walk me thru it, because I'm really a visual learner, and it's not really easy for me to get things just from reading them. However, once I get this one done, I'll be primed and ready to do a few more and add "Alarm/Remote Start Installer" to my resume :)

ThaScarecrow 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I used regular wire taps (scotch taps???) for my connections and had no connection problems at all. I soldered where it needed it (diodes, spade terminals were crimped and soldered) but mostly used the wire taps.
I mounted the brain and sensors behind the driver side knee bolster near the column, that's also where most of the connections were made. You'll want to try and keep the wiring fairly neat (hard to do, lots of wires) and retain a stock look. Try to shove the brain out of the way where it's not so easy to see.
As long as you have a good understanding of electronics and you're careful you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure you double check things and verify that the information I posted is correct by using a DMM.
Good luck, let us know how it goes. Please Help A Desperate Man - Last Post -- posted image.
ThaScarecrow 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I believe the correct name for the taps I used is "Scotch Locks".
SoundSaturn 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got outside and started laying things out for the install last night. I found a nice secure place to mount the brain and even got a few of the wires ran and hidden, but today the rain is keeping me from doing anything. I'm taking pictures of the entire process (as I do with all the projects I do on my car) and I will post the link to the pictures as soon as they're developed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic