icon

epoxy or polyester resin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rproductions 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2003 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
What is the diffrence between epoxy and polyester resin?? I can get epoxy resin cheap here. can I use that??
Thank you.
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Epoxy resin is a type of resin for bonding, and is used to hold things together, the epoxy resin is only 1 of 2 components used, so epoxy resin is to be used with epoxy, and the polyester is to be used with fiberglass
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
Rproductions 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
epoxy or polyester resin -- posted image.???? So I can't make my enclosure only with epoxi resin mixed with hardner and fiberglass cloth.??
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I won't react right, the epoxy resin is for epoxy fillers, which is usaully a 2 or 3 part mix, the polyester resin is for fiberglass, which you only need to add hardener
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

epoxy resins will work fine with fiberglass. That's what is used to make high strength composites such as kevlar and carbon fiber. Epoxy is much lighter and stronger than polyester or vinyl ester resins.

Regular fiberglass chop mat is held together with a binding agent that polyester resins break down during layup. Epoxy resins will not break down this binding agent and will not properly adhere to regular chop mat. You have to use fiberglass cloth or chop mat that has been stitched together.

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
So could u use fiberglass mat on the main parts like first 8 layers of the box with polyester resin and then for the top parts where u put fiberglass cloth u can use epoxy resins?
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
iaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
You can apply epoxies to polyester parts but you cannot apply polyesters to epoxy parts. In general it's best not to mix resin types. If you're making parts 8 layers thick, consider using coremat every third or fourth layer.
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
So im guessing coremat can be applied with a poly resin? and will coremat help the strenght?
iaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Do two layer chop, 1 layer coremat, and another two layers of chop. You can't lap coremat over itself and it doesn't stretch so do a couple of practice pieces first. Coremat dramatically increases strength without adding a whole lot of  cost or weight.
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
can u do patches of coremat like 12 by 12 squares as long as u get the close to eachother?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic