icon

Need to pick your brains...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JayPo 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

I have a car here that has an aftermarket alarm (Audiovox Prestige APS200).  It was bought used and we don't have the fob, but the person they bought it from was kind enough to remove the fuses feeding the brain.

Sometimes, the car doesn't start.  Does anyone know if this alarm has an ignition inhibitor that could somehow be turning on?  (I've checked everything twice, and this is the last thing I think it could be)

Just in the interest of science, I threw some fuses into the thing and reconnected the battery.  The alarm sounded at first (nice, loud little SOB, I think I'm deaf now), then I managed to shut it up by switching on valet mode.  However, the siren was still going off.  I disconnected the battery, pulled the fuses and the thing was still gong off, but very quietly (it was doing it a couple weeks ago too, while installing the power line for an amp).

Is the brain baked or is it just cranky because it's not getting disarmed properly?

Thanks for any help you can give;

Jason

Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

So it wont start, what kind of car, and is it a crank no start, or cranks but doesnt start.  If it were me, i would remove the alarm completly, or get a fob for it. 

Hak
Siemens Autostart
JayPo 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

It's a 94 Acclaim, and it doesn't even crank.  it takes 5 or 10 minutes of turning the key to get the thing to start (all the electronics work, the starter just won't go).

i just wanna find out if the alarm's worth getting a fob for, don't want to go to all the trouble of getting a fob, programming, etc only to find out the brain's baked.

Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2003 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Check the starter wire under the dash, see if its been cut, and a relay is installed there.  If not, you may have a seperate problem all together.   The easiest way to check which is giving you the problem is by putting a volt meter on the starter solenoid wire while the problem is there.  If your getting voltage to the starter during crank, and the starter isnt engaging, then replace the starter.  If there is no voltage there, then you may have a starter disable relay in line from the ignition switch.  The starter wire (under the dash to the ignition switch) is yellow.

Hak
Siemens Autostart

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic