icon

wiring ICE - 1st timer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
graemesimpson 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, some say I am too old to be playing around with amps and woofers, but hey what the hell.  But now I want to go up the ladder I am a bit stuck on my wiring.  Currently I have:

6 Speaker system going to Kenwood Head unit, all wired up to sony Xplod 4 ch amp, works nice.  Now have got a SPLX 350 2ch AMP and two subs (Rockford Punch).  Now I see on the SPLX there is a BRIDGE connection for Subs, my question is do I just wire the two + and the two - from the subs to the terminals or is there another way (better).  Also, the data feed goes from my head unit to the Sony Amp, how do I wire so that the new Amp is also getting and INPUT feet.

Once I get some ideas I can get my head around it.  If it helps to have a drawing then please email me.  I really appreciate the time and effor you experts put into helping us novices :-)

Thanks

Graeme

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

Assuming your subwoofers are SVC 4-ohm models, most likely you can't bridge your splx amp.  Two 4-ohm subs wired in parallel will present a single 2-ohm load to an amplifier, so unless your two-channel amp can run a 2-ohm mono/bridged load (most can't), you have to hook up one sub per channel like normal.

When you say "data feed" on the kenwood deck are you referring to the cd-changer connection?  I think some of the kenwood excelon amps can hook up to a kenwood head unit and from there you can adjust some of the amp's settings from up at the head unit.  But that only works if you have a kenwood amp; plus it would have to be one of their models that supports this feature.  I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about when you said "data feed" but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
graemesimpson 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for a QUICK response.  Okay here goes, the Splx 350 DOES support BRIDGED WIRING - but the manual says "Do not use a 2ohm load in the bridge mode, the amp accepts 4 - 8 ohms only in bridge mode".

The Subs are Rockford-Fosgate which are 4 Ohm.  The use of DATA was the wrong word.  This was refering to the Output from the Headunit goes to the Input on the 4Ch Amp.  How do I get a Output from the Headunit to the 2Ch.

The head unit and 2Ch amp have RCA which I am not using to get output/input from the Head unit to the 4Ch amp.

Does this help or have I confused even more. :-)

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic