icon

Audio Quality of 92' JBL Premium Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BigJMan 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

How much of a difference wil it make if I replace my 1992 JBL Premium Sound System Speakers (2-way 5x7 plate in front, I think 2-way 6x9 in back) with 2003 model, high end aftermarket speakers powered by a seperate 4-channel amp (or 2 2-channel amps whatever)?  I'm driving my interiors right now just off my Kenwood headunit. I don't think it can push them all the way, but that problem would be fixed with an external amp. I know that a lot of cars have been made w/ the JBL Premium Sound, and to be honest my voices still sound better stock w/ my Kenwood than my friend's car with all normal Pioneer speakers.

I know that better can be achieved, cause I've heard people go by with internals like twice as loud as what my JBLs can do. I'm going for loud and clear right now - I've already had suggestions to try brands like MB Quart, CDT, Focal, Diamond, Infinity, Eclipse, Boston Accoustics, Rainbow Audio, Dynaudio, Oz Audio, Brax, Chrystal, Dynavox, ADS, Audax, Vita.................

I know it sounds stupid, but I want to know if anyone has heard a JBL Premium Sound system replaced w/ another aftermarket manufacturer, because right now I'm just assuming I can easily improve my system, but that may not be so and I'm trying not to completely waste my money.

1992 Lincoln Towncar Cartier
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
Stereo System - Working On It :)
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

You said you're "driving the interiors just off the kenwood head unit"....so you mean you bypassed the factory jbl amps?

A completely aftermarket system such as the one you are envisioning (4 aftermarket speakers, all powered by the kewnood head unit's built-in amplifier) will normally sound better than most factory premium sound systems.  I think you would notice a definite increase in sound quality if you replace the stock jbl speakers with some aftermarket ones.

If the aftermarket speakers are not installed properly (i.e. factory wiring is used and speakers are accidentally wired out of phase; speakers not making an airtight seal with the rear deck and/or the inside of the doors, etc.) then those could definitely cause the aftermarket equipment to sound like crap.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
BigJMan 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the quick response,

If I get 4 new aftermarket speakers, I'm going to power them off a entirely seperate amp in the trunk for increased SQ and to deliver more power.

4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
BigJMan 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
I removed the stock 4channel amp that came with the car, cause it sounded like crap and my Kenwood powers internals a 1/3 louder w/ increased SQ right off the bat, but that's not saying that I'm satisfied with it, I still want better.
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
hehe yea I hear that--I think all of us always want to make our systems better, louder, clearer, or whatever.  We're never done upgrading it.  Glad to hear you got a good jump in SQ with the kenwood head unit.  Now just replace the stock speakers with some decent aftermarket ones and you will be quite pleased with the results.Audio Quality of 92' JBL Premium Sound -- posted image.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic