Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fireberd350 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
my sub is an infinity 1220w: 4 ohm
my amp is a kicker IX 252: 4 ohm and 2 ohm mono
i think i may have blown my sub by hooking it up b/c it does not work unless I push on the center...it was the first time i tried it and i got it from eBay so i dont know if i broke it or if it was already broke but it looked BRAND NEW...
anyways...i need to make this work! is it possible?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like the voice coil or one of the connections got seperated. If that's the case then it's garbage. Did you confirm a return policy before you bought the sub from eBay?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Did you crank it all the way up as soon as you got it all hooked up?  Or did you give it at least a few minutes to break in?
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
fireberd350 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

im not worried about returning it b/c that would be impossible since it was so long ago when i bought it...

i did not have the amp turned all the way up and i didnt get a chance to break it in b/c it was like this from the start....

could i have caused this by smacking the rear side w/ a dead blow(plastic) mallet to pop the sub out of the box? either way im not concerned about how it broke or whatever...i need to know if this combination will work and how can i hook it up if it will....i found the specs here:

INFINITY 1220W:

Description:Infinity Reference 1220w 12" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
Manufacturer:Infinity
Lowest Price:
Not Available
User Rating: 
Not Rated
Diameter:283 mm
Mounting Depth:6.12 in
Nominal Impedance:4 ohm
Nominal Input Power Rating:300 W
Sensitivity:92 dB
Maximum Frequency Response:800 Hz
Minimum Frequency Response:20 Hz
Maximum Input Power Rating:1200 W

KICKER IX252:

It's stable at 2 ohms, so you can bump up the power into 2-ohm stereo or 4-ohm bridged mono loads.

Frequency response 20-20,000 Hz

4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. Stereo, bridged mono, or Tri-way output
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. 60 watts x 1 in bridged mode
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. 25 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. 30 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. Rquires 10-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. 0-18 dB bass boost centered at 40 Hz
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. 0-12 dB treble boost centered at 18,000 Hz
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. MOSFET power supply
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. 18 dB/octave crossover switchable at 70 or 110 Hz
4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image. Dmensions: 6-5/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 9-1/2"D

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
You will be seriously underpowering that sub with a Kicker LX252. From what I could find, that amp is 25 x 2 @ 4ohms, 30 x 2 @ 2ohms, and 60 x 1 @ 4ohms mono/bridged. I do not believe it is 2ohm mono stable, only 4ohm (it's pointless anyway because you can't get a 2ohm load with only one 4ohm SVC). This amp was not designed to be a power house for subs, and would be better suited running internal component/coaxial speakers.
Your Infinity Reference is 300RMS 1200Peak. To run this sub properly you want an amp (either Class AB or Class D) rated at least 300 x 1 @ 4ohms
To hook it up to your current amp (unless there is a diagram for the bridge on the amp), use the Left channel's Negative (-) and the Right channel's Positive (+). This will give you the max that the amp can produce... 60 x 1 @ 4ohms mono/bridged.
According to Infinity, you would be better off using a Vented enclosure (due to the limited power you are supplying) with one 4" wide by 12.26" tall port. The total volume you need in the enclosure (already includes the displacement of the port and the sub) is 2.0 cu. ft.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
fireberd350 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

what about this cerwin vega 12"  it comes in SVC and DVC...will either one wok?

4 ohm sub....4 ohm 2 ch. amp(2 ohm bridge -- posted image.

12" Subwoofer
HED-12SVC (single) or
HED-12DVC (dual)
Voice Coil
20-500 Hz
RMS: 200 watts
Maximum: 400 watts
(2.8v/1m): 90 dB
SVC MODELS: 4 ohms
DVC MODELS: 4 ohms/coil
11" (280 mm)
5 5/16" (135 mm)

and the kicker amp is pretty underrated I hear so I hope it will work....and about the port...ive never done one of them, should I add one?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic