icon

Remote Switch for neon lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kobaltic 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

First of all I hope I am not repeating anyone. If I am please just point me to the thread.

I want to hook up neon lights to a toggle switch. My problem is I am afraid I might leave them on and drain my battery. I want some kind of remote switch installed (like the one on an amp). I was thinking about using the iginition wire but I really don't want to cut factory wiring. I was going to just use an "and" gate IC chip and hook one side up to the 12 volt and the other to the remote wire on my head unit but I don't think the IC chip can support the amount of voltage and amprage that is needed to power the lights. Any ideas on how I can hook this up?

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

Dont bother with the AND gate, you would need a 5V (or 3.2,6,...) power supply,not worth the time, plus the ouput would need a transistor anyway. Plus if you just hook one side of an AND gate to logic 1, all it will do is buffer... Do you only want it on with the stereo? If so put a relay on the remote wire. Do you just want it to turn off when the vehicle is off (i figure you want this more) Then just tap the ACC lead to the stereo, (It will be red if it is an aftermarket headunit). Either way hook the tapped lead to pin 85 of a relay, pin 86 to ground, then just use Pins 30 and 87 in series with your switch.

Kobaltic 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
OK thanks alot.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic