icon

Hood release instead of trunk release?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
ok i am thinking of buying a universal electric trunk release, now my questin is i am going to use it for my hood release cable instead. They've already broken into my car by cutting the hood latch wire by the side of my tire and they just pull on it and the hood opens so now im rerouting the wire and using the trunk option on my alarm to trigger it, would i need a relay? and if so what setup would I use. Has anyone tried this? and is this a dumb idea or do i have somethin here?
oomgosh 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

Um, so now you would have an electric hood release?  Why not get a standard pin switch (Normally Closed)?

For wiring just tie one side of the switch to the trigger and other to ground if it's negatively triggered or + is positively triggered

Another idea, don't discard the trunk triggering, have the truck or the hood trigger the alarm,

this way you don't have to come back telling us how someone climbed in through your trunk

and stole all your crap :-)

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Personally, I'd go with a mechanical hood lock. Because with an electric release, yer basically f**ked if the battery goes dead. How you gonna pop yer hood to jump the battery? You can either get a cable type hoodlock, such as DEI's part number 566T or else exterior race car type hood pin locks.
http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3032522815&category=14934
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
well to answer oomgosh's question, I already have pin switches for both the trunk and the hood thats not the problem the problem is that accords are very commonly stolen and what im tryin to do is hide the cable wire to open the hood, because thats how they get in, they brake the cable then pull it then disconnect batter and NO MORE ALARM. I wanted to reroute the wire and add the trunk release button and hide it like in the glove box and also use it for my spare channel on my remote of the alarm to pop it open. Basically what i want to do is pop open the hood instead of the trunk with my remote, would I need any relays to do this? or just add it to my spare channel on my alarm?
mr12volt 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

Here is what you need to do to wire up an actuater to the hood latch.  The alarm channel supplies a (-) 200-300ma output.  Being negative will not help you and being a fraction of an amp will not help you.  Therefore a relay is going to be needed.  First off ground the actuator.  A good place to do this is under the dash or kick panel.  This is a good place in case your battery goes dead(You can pop the hood from an external source).  Now you need a bosch style 30Amp relay.  This will convert the negative output from the alarm to 12 volts with enough amperage to pop the actuator.  You will need to wire up 86 and 87 up to 12 volt.  85 needs to be connected to the alarm channel output and 30 will give you a 12 volt output for the actuator.  Make sure to fuse the 12 volt leads going to the relay(This also should be put under the dash or kick panel for previous reasons).  Also I would look for a way to manually pop the hood in case the actuator goes bad.  You dont want to pay a body shop to pry open the hood.

Good Luck

philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  
hey, here's an idea.... get a battery back up for your alarm. then they can cut main cable and alarm would blare anyway. hellava lot easier than rigging a power release... besides, it's not like they still couldn't yank the solenoids wire and pop your hood

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic