icon

2003 Tahoe Z71 w\moonroof

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pman 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

Could you recommend a high quality overhead system with dvd and clean aux input for a game system around $1500-$2000?  Following are some desires I have after some research:  minimum of 8"; widesceen; prefer source selection of audio if possible (has factory 6 disk in dash with onstar and xm radio); clean slim install to match tan interior; rf wireless headphones

I seem to hear good things about Alpine but thier biggest unit is 7".  I would be happy to consider any suggestions.  I live in OKC but would be happy to travel for a highly recommended installer.

ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Audiovox and myron and davis make some decent quality stuff, problem is going to be your sunroof, have you considered headrest monitors? Visualogic makes some headrests with 7" monitors already in them and they are a very clean look when installed, no visible wires and headrests still have full function
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Audiovox has no widescreen that is bigger than 7 inches. Myron and Davis is considered the low end of headrests and I don't like the wire coming out of the bottom of the rest. Looks like a snake. Visual Logic is very nice but pricey. There is no problem with having the sunroof contrary to what was just said. I prefer installing with the sunroof it is very easy. If you want high end and want the best picture go with the new 15.3 Inch Salient. It is more than the 2 grand you want to spend but it is awesome. You can also get the center cosole kit and get the DVD and VCP mounted in the center console and this setup comes prewired and does not require you to cut one wire and includes everything. Check it out at www.salient-designs.com. If it is too pricey than wait for the Audiovox 9 inch widescreen with built in DVD that will hopefully be out soon. Alpine is nice but only has a one year warranty. Audiovox and the Salient is 3 year. For the kind of money you are spending you may want the best warranty you can get. Make sure you go widescreen as alot of units out there are the 4x3 format. Also look at the Icon piece, I have not heard anything bad I just do not have any experience with them. The Salient is by far the one that has impressed me the most with how well it integrates with the vehicle. And the picture quality is great. Good luck,
DanDan
ezridr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

Ok let me clarify the "problem" because the sunshade almost slides right across the top of the headliner you have to do 1 of 2 things to mount an oversized overhead monitor, you either have to shove some wood inbetween the headliner braces to have something to screw into which causes the headliner to bow and sag, OR you have to make or use a pod to give you the depth, which also gives the impression that your headliner has grown a wart.

I was only suggesting the Headrests because that is MY personal preference, for 3 reasons, 1. When done right looks very clean  2. If I have 2 or more passengers that want to watch different things or play a video game they can do so with individual headrests, with an overhead monitor everyone is stuck watching the same thing, and 3. Headrests are cheaper to replace than a headliner when selling your car and taking your equipment with you. 

pman 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the feedback.  I am leaning towards the headrest solution but  cannot find any information on the quality of the picture of the visual logic 7" screen.  Does anyone have experience with it and can you comment on the quality.  Installation seems extremely easy.  Are you aware of any tricks for a first timer with reasonable AV skills?

DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
I am sorry ezrider, I disagree with you with the overhead mounting. I do not use wood in any vehicle install. The 15.3 Salient is custom made for the Tahoe, Denalli and Escalade. I have never seen a Tahoe headliner sag as you say. The headrest is a good idea also, just not my preference. pman, the vizual logic is made by a company called TMI. If you do go that route those headrests cost me about $450 each wholesale. If you add all the other devices you will need you will hit that two grand mark very quickly and still will have 7 inch screens. The Salient 15.3 with the custom rear console, DVD and VCP wholesales for about two grand. It comes with everything. Even has a built in TV tuner. It is very easy to install too. Just have to find someone where you are. I am not knocking the headrest but there is no issue as far as I am concerned about mounting it in the roof. The only vehicle I hate to mount an overhead in is the Mercedes Benz ML series SUV. Good luck on your video.
DanDan
ezridr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

We use the Visualogics in the brand new Range Rovers, BMW X-5, Escalades, and Denali's, I have not had a single customer complaint on the picture quality or the finish of the product. Many of our customers bring in a 2nd vehicle for the monitors which speaks for the quality of them. I have done overhead and headrest monitors, and ever since the visualogics came out would much prefer them over the overhead for the same 3 reasons I stated earlier. The biggest issue is resale on the vehicle, if you have someone that is not willing to pay xtra for the video system in there and you want to remove it you are going to have a hole in your headliner, whereas the visualogics you simply remove them and put the factory headrests back in.

The Visualogics arevery easy to install, you simply remove the old headrest, unfasten the seat covers at the bottom of the back of the seat , and insert the wire down to the bottom, the wire is concealed inside the seat post so that's it. Then you connect your monitor wire to the supplied power box which has 2 video inputs and  a switched and ground wire, run your video inputs to it and you are done.

pman 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought the visualogic vehicle specific kit from autobarn.com.  These things are hard to find!  I was only able to locate two vendors for this and the other one required paypal which created some timing problems for me.  I appreciate the diverse comments and will report back after installation and testing.

ezridr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
yes pman they are very HOT sellers right now, I don't know when you needed them or what you paid for them but we keep several different models and colors in stock at my shop. So what all did your kit come with? Let me know how you like them and if you need any help hooking them up!!2003 Tahoe Z71 w\moonroof -- posted image.
pman 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
The kit includes the two monotitors, two a\v controle modules with dual source, 1 3 channel rf transmitter, 2 rf headphones, one fm modulator, and the dvd player.  Total price was $1,330.  Pretty pricey but it sure sounds like the high quality system I am looking for.  I am planning to install later this week with an x-box system to allow for simultaneous playback of the two different units and am hopefull this will keep the two kids entertained for the 20 hour drive down to disney world.  Thanks for the offer!  Once I get it in, I will follow up on this post.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic