icon

system help ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

i have a few questions for you smart people !!!!! first off i have 4 audiobahn 15" aw150q subs. they are 600 watts rms per sub single 4 ohm voice coil. i want to build a box to fit in a 1991 chevy caprice classic for the four subs but i dont know how to calculate the required air space for each sub.if someone can tell me how or calculate it for me and give me the dimensions for each chamber i would greatly appreciate it....i am going to build a basic square box with two subs facing the rear(tail lights) and one in each side facing the wheel wells. the box will have 4 seperate chambers........

the second question for now is what kind of amp should i use to run these four subs i dont really want to run multiple amps..one amp if i can...

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHICH AMP WILL KICK THESE SUBS?????????

if i wire the subs to a single channel amp how would i do it ?and what ohm rating would i be at?? i know if i wire two subs + to + - to - i will get a 2 ohm load but if i run the 4 + and 4 - what will i have???

PLEASE HELP YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN HERE IN THE PAST TO HELP ME I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME AGAIN.............THANKS A BUNCH YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!

the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
chevylove 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  

First off you can run the subs into either a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load.  Your best bet sound wise would be to find a class d monoblock amp that can handle a 1 ohm load.  You would achieve this with a parallel wiring scheme, basically meaning you connect all the positive terminal on the subs together in a series and run it to the positive terminal on the amp.  It's the same for negative.

--(+)-------------(+)-------------(+)----------------(+)-------------------------(+)    

------(-)---------------(-)---------------(-)---------------(-)----------------------(-)

[Sub1]          [Sub2]            [Sub3]               [Sub4]                       [Amp]

As for box size you'll need anywhere from 1.25 to 2.5 ft of airspace for each sub.  Now considering this is being done in the trunk of a car, even a large car like yours, you might want to consider facing 2 subs on each of opposite sides of the box. (2 front, 2 back)  Building the box you're speaking of would require more space and might be pretty tough to fit in the trunk.  Just think, with a mounting depth of about 9 or 10" and a width of 15", your box would need to be at least 55" wide.  I don't know offhand how wide a caprice trunk is but i'd bet that's pushing it.  As far as for the amps there's lots of good ones out there.  Amps are just like beer, they all get the job done.   

Drew   "Fuses are only 10 cents...go for it."
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help would this amp do any good its a boss r3000d mono block max@1 ohm 3000x1??? or is it too cheap to be affective???let me know thanks again
can you feel it ?????
chevylove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Ok this is all on you.  First off if you're on a budget this is a good bet.  A lot of the hardcore installers and such will tell you that boss is garbage and whatnot,  not to say that it is the best quality in the world but it sure isn't the worst.  I will say that I have seen boss amps blow up on a few occasions.  I will also say that I've seen JL, Fosgate, PPI......just about any brand there is blow up.  The deal with boss is that you'll have to be more careful with wire guages and making sure you're getting enough voltage to the amp than with some more pricey models.  Some of the loudest systems ive ever heard have been boss, usually because people can actually afford to buy systems that hit 150db and up.  I'm not too fond of boss subs personally but you already mentioned having audiobahn so you're on the right track.  To sum it up I'd say if you can afford an $800 Orion amp then get it, otherwise go with boss for 1/4 the price.
chevylove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

Also you might want to look into getting 2 amps to push 2400watts of subs.

fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
what about trading the 4 sub idea and going for 2 15" 4ohm dvc subs you would still wire together to get a 1 ohm load right??? im only looking to spend around 3 or 350 on a amp........i can trade these subs for 2 dvc 15's right now plus that would solve the diemna of building such a big box right?let me know what you think....
can you feel it ?????
chevylove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

system help ? -- posted image.

Wire them up like that.  Trust me those two 15's will rock a caprice.  Build a box with 2+ ft of airspace each and they'll quake.  Unless you're planning on winning comps that's all you'll need.  And I hope you have a component system or are planning on getting one cause you'll need it after adding all that bump.

fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
how about a audiobahn a18001dq will that amp work for this setup?either with 4 or 2 subs ? i know its only 1800 watts but its hard to find one at 2400.let me know ..
can you feel it ?????
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
what would happen to the ohm load with 3 single 4 ohm subs wired to a single channel amp? the audiobahn a18001dq? just a thought......
can you feel it ?????
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  

1.333 ohms....a 2-ohm mono stable amp MIGHT be able to handle this load but most likely you'd have to get one that can do a 1-ohm load.

If you're gonna have 4 subs you can get two JBL BP1200.1's and hook up two subs per amp, for 2400 watts RMS total.  But the dual amp setup won't work for 3 subs unless the amp's are the same make and model and can be hooked up together to give a single output channel that's the combined power of both amps.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic