new system old car (92 jetta)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vlwex 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

hello everyone,

i have a 92 jetta and was wondering what everyone thinks would be a good setup and if everyone could just put in a little input as to what they would or wouldnt do and why or why not it would be greatly appreciated. mind you that the budget im working with is moderate (no more than fifteen hundred)and that for my subs i have to use my coustic 400se (i think thats the model number its last years 2channel 400w amp) because i cant see buying a new amp for the subs when its just fine.

ok its a 92 four door vw jetta in the door pocket theres room for a 5 1/4 speaker that i  want to upgrade (see fiberglass post with same title) with some polykevlar focals 136(5 1/4) or 165(6 3/4) components

in the dash theres a 3 1/2 inch speaker that i was told that i should get rid of because it throws everything or the imaging im trying to acheive. 

and i have blaupunkts overdrive 6x9s (4way) in the back deck with which i want to put in a solid box and mount them from the bottom to get better midbass

and then theres the subs with such a small amount of wattage what would provide good sound quality with good spl (i really cant tell where the sq starts to turn to spl so im not real good at differentiating between the two i just want my subs to be able to get low if they need to as well as handle all of the other notes. and i have a box that came with last years audiobahn single voice coil dual subs that stopped working its built pretty well should i get another box or what its about 2 1/2' wide 1 3/4' tall and 10"deep and sealed. whats a good sub for the money that performs well with little power.

oh and im hell bent on the alpine 9815 as the headunit

any answers would be greatly appreciated

i almost forgot the amp i want soundstream but i ve heard mixed feelings ever since the epsilon acquistion of the company but i wanted the rubicon 604 or the entry level van gogh 4 channel of which i cant seem to find pics of anywhere i also thought about a hifonics zeus or a comporable ppi 4channel pushing around 150x4 rms true power. this amp is like i said for the mids and highs so it has to be crystal clear and durable so everyone let me know please so i can get some clarity thanks everyone.

do what you have to to get what you want
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

Actually if you have door speakers, the correct size in a VW would be a European 6.5. I would go with components, the 165ks, mount the tweeter in the 3 1/2 location, the tweeter x over is adjustable and the alpine HU you want has bass engine pro along with time correction so no problems setting up your imaging. Since you already have the Blaupunkts use them in the rear deck. As for your amp, 2 comparisons would be the Alpine MRVF340 or the JL Audio E4300, both are very close in specs, with the same amount of power, both have a 12 db slope on the xover, OR you could step up to the JL Audio 300/4 which offers 75w x 4 and fully variable x over with 12 or 24 db x over slope

Like yourself I have been very leary of Soundstream since their bankruptcy and take over days, and the new PPI amps aren't what they used to be now that they have been bought out first by Orion and now by DEI (Viper). The Hifonics amps are no where close to what they were years ago, now I would actually compare them to Pyramid, Crunch, and Jensen.

The best subs for the money that have awesome output with lower wattage are the JL W-0 series, and they work well in a small enclosure.

Hope this helps

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I second the JL's. I had a pair of the 12's with 85 watts to each one and they did great. Only difference is mine were in a ported enclosure.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic