icon

LED tail lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BD pathfinder 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a new tail light in my truck.. There was no trouble in hooking up all the correct wiring. back up-stop-tail-turn. however when I turn on the turn signal they blink real fast as if there was a bulb out. Now I know the signals use resistance to determine the blink speed intervals. I have tried using a 2k resistor and they still blink fast just dimmer.. what am I doing wrong?
bigunner1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
i think the leds might not have enough resistance. i tried those led 1157 bulbs on my truck, and it did the same thing. i have a 1992 chev truck, and as you know the brake and signal light use the same bulb, but at the time i had a ZR1 rollpan, and this had 2 bulbs per side, when i put the led bulbs in, the signals would flash fast, and believe it or not, my astrostrart would not start my truck.  the error code i was getting on the remote start said "brakes applied". the second i took out the leds,,,it started as soon as i hit the remote. now i also tried a heavy duty flasher, but it didn't work for the starting problem, and i can't remember if it helped with the fast flashing, but it is worth a try. these are usually used when you have a trailer with all the lights.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

you could replace the thermal flasher with an electronic one, i think that will fix it without having to disapate power in a resistor

hotrodelectric 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
www.lambertenterprises.com
The link sends you to a site that makes LED systems for rods. They also make a load box (basically 2 sand block resistors on a board in parallel to ground) which will give the proper load to your flasher. Easy hookup- the two green wires go to the front turn lamps (one to each) and the black wire to ground. If I can find the open one I have, I'll look up the values so you can just go get the resistors yourself.
chevylove 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

Your problem here is that the leds aren't creating enough resistance.  One of the selling points for leds is that they use so much less power than a standard bulb.Your car probably senses less than half the resistance that it's designed for, thus the "bulb out" flashing.

Drew   "Fuses are only 10 cents...go for it."
BD pathfinder 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
OK.  I figured it out.  thanks for all the help.. It looks like there was a special lights out safty curcuit built into the electrical system. I tryed using resistors of all sizes. But that didnt help..I ended up removeing the curcit and adding in a new old fashoned flasher to the system...  problem fixed.  slow flash.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic