icon

Alarm Install, Self or Pro?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unprofessional 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

Been looking into installing power locks and an alarm with keyless entry into my truck.  I am not no alarm expert but I know my way around a multimeter and wire splicing, and my truck for that matter.

So would there be any real benefit to me getting a "professional" to install for me? (Besides what is below.)

Also does anyone know how to get a DEI alarm without having someone else install it?  I been shopping around but the dealers tell me a pro has to install it if I buy it....

Derek 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
A "pro" will get it done right and faster, but its your car and if you would like to do it yourself go right ahead, its not rocket science. Try Ebay for some DEI units, you'll catch some on there now and again.
I could set you up with a Code Alarm System with a warranty and all the "tech" help you'll need to do it yourself.
Think about it. Email me if your interested.
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well, you have a couple of factors to consider. First, have you ever done mobile electronics before? If not, I would certainly advise against an alarm being your first attempt. As Derek said, its not rocket science, but common sense alone won`t get it done for you either. Every connection must be a solid one..if not, you risk numerous problems, from alarm failure to car fire. If you are wanting to learn to do mobile electronics, I suggest you start with a simple head unit. But if you just want to save money..it is worth letting a pro put it in.
Hope this helps.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Well I hear a lot of horror stories of installers trying to get as many cars done as possible and cutting corners by just wraping wires together and taping them.  Also poor wire routing and component placements.

I also plan on installing some aftermarket door locks that need to tie into the alarm.

I figure I only need probably 5 spices into factory wiring for constant +12V, ignition only +12V, parking lights, and the two door open sensors.  The rest is handled using my aftermarket locks and wiring between alarm components.

As far as my mobile electronics experiance I've installed a few radios before.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
you dont even need to have any experience to install alarm. believe me, there is only couple of wire you have match up. i suggest you dont go out and spent about a bill to get some wires match up and taped up. beside get help from any of these ppl here.
and for aftermarket door locks, you got to understand a lil bit of how relay works, and youre set or they sell them in kits (actuator and all the relays wired).
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

Well it doesn't seem all that hard.  I'll probably make it harder than it is though with my wire routing and such.

Decided on a Crime Guard 745i3 since it has every option I can think of and the price is right.

Gonna go ahead and attempt it myself if it gets too hard then I might goto a dealer or post back here.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

mmdb 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
I'd say if you got the time do it yourself. I took off my avital becase it was just a starter and, a horror story, to my surprise i found that all of the wires were twisted on. 12 volts at high awps to start the starter and they twisted the wires. Sigh...
I replaced my alarm with the clifford rs3 and i just finished it. Took me 3 days of work. That's me taking every wire and soldering it, placing the wires, wrapping in rolls of duct tape, tearing apart the interior, and relocatting the light switch, trouble shooting (took most time), and just plain testing things out. It's not TOO bad it but it is time consuming tearing things apart and putting things in the right place, soldering everything, etc. But i'd say i learned a lot about my car. I'd encourage you to do it. I basically used a wire tapper and the cheap instructions and this awesome to get some good info on the install.
Good luck!
mmdb 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
oh i forgot to mention laying on ur back in awkward postiions.
cheers!
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
No offence to you guys..but who installed this stuff? You paid a shop to install an alarm..and they just twisted the wires together? You just got a sorry a$$ installer, or a sorry shop. A good installer NEVER leaves a wire just twisted together. A good installer would rather take half the dash apart to get to that last wire..rather than leave it halfway done.
I never meant to say that you couldnt put the alarm in, theres just ALOT of things that could go wrong.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2003 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
man, pro or non pro, they all install them cheesy. especically circuit city near my place. them pros will rip you off litterally, they will take advantage of ppl who doesnt know anything about alarm (especially those with audio/alarm shop), cause installin is a pain in the behind. my friends who call in and they say this and that. i would suggest to everyone research a lil bit and get help from these ppl on here. things cant go wrong. i got a lil brother whose in middle school can do these craps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic