icon

Need Advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a Coustic 161SE Amp that I just purchased, which I will install in the next day or so. I would like to run all 4 of my speakers off this amp, which according to the specs puts out 80 watts rms at 2 OHM's or 40 watts rms at 4 OHM's. I can run my front speakers  off my Pioneer Premier DEH-550MP HU, which puts out 22 watts rms and let my amp push my MB Quarts DKC 169's. However, I would prefer to run everything off my amp in paralell and enjoy the extra headroom. Does this sound like a solid idea and would you do it?

Thanks,

Razorbacx 

ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

I would suggest trying just the mb quarts on the amp and if you are not satisfied, add the front speakers to the amp. what kind of front speakers are you using?

--Adam
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have stock speakers up front?
razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry, but I should have provided more details....I have a pair of JBL GTO635 6 1/2's in the front doors and of course as mentioned in my orignal post a pair of MB Quart DKC169 6x9's in the rear deck. Both sets of speakers are rated at 60 wrms and I would love to be able to drop some much needed watts into both pairs and this is the easiest/most cost efficient way to do so.

Thanks,

Razorbacx

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I would bridge the fronts off one channel and the rears off the other. This will give your amp a 2 ohm load and you will get 40 watts to each speaker. It would not make any sense to run just the rears off the amp. If you were to do so the sound stage would be coming from the back rather than from the front, where it should be.
razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with you there about staging, but you do mean running the speakers in paralell, right? That should give me 80 watts rms to the front and 80 watts rms to the rear and all I really need is 60, but I've got some headroom to play with and that never hurts.

Razorbacx

razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with you regarding staging, but you do mean paralell instead of bridging, correct? I can tie the Front Right and the Rear Right to gether and then the Left Front and the Left Rear together and that should give me 80 watts rms per channel into a 2 OHM load. Atleast, that is what I have figured it to be. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Razorbacx

razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

Boy, double posts there and I have no idea how that happened.

Razorbacx

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic