icon

1996 intrepid stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gl012127 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 1996 intrepid and i want to replace the factory radio and speakers. the problem is that i have 6 speakers 2 in back 2 in the front doors and 2 in the top of dash. the speakers in the dash are tweeters and i was wondering is there a crosover that devides freqwencys between the dash and door speakers. or is the crosover done in the actual radio. if i was to install an aftermarket radio how would i use the existing wiring
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Use a regular aftermarket chrysler harness and all 6 speakers will work fine. Most factory tweets recieve a full range signal and are wired with a small capacitor to block the low frequencies
RRack 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I just did this on my friend's 1996 Intrepid with a Pioneer DEH-1500 and something is wrong. I used an aftermarket wire harness and face kits as usual. I've installed several stereos over the years and this is the first that has ever given me this kind of trouble. Everything powers up but the sound is terrible! There is no bass and everything is distorted as you increase the volume. The front two door speakers also don't work but the two dash tweeters and rear deck speakers do. What the heck is going on? I bench tested the stereo and the deck seems fine and plays great. I've checked the wiring several times and everything checks out. I've also checked and the orginal is not the Infinity system.
Any tips or info please e-mail me.
Thanks,
Robert
gl012127 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

ViperATC5 wrote:
Use a regular aftermarket chrysler harness and all 6 speakers will work fine. Most factory tweets recieve a full range signal and are wired with a small capacitor to block the low frequencies

Ok but then how are the two speakers wired in are they wired in parallel if so then their impedence must be 8ohm's each in order for it to be a 4 ohm circuit. if they are in series then each must have a 2ohm's. the reason im saying that is that my after market radio as most requires a impedence of 4 ohm's.

AudioFreak 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  

RRack wrote:
I just did this on my friend's 1996 Intrepid with a Pioneer DEH-1500 and something is wrong. I used an aftermarket wire harness and face kits as usual. I've installed several stereos over the years and this is the first that has ever given me this kind of trouble. Everything powers up but the sound is terrible! There is no bass and everything is distorted as you increase the volume. The front two door speakers also don't work but the two dash tweeters and rear deck speakers do. What the heck is going on? I bench tested the stereo and the deck seems fine and plays great. I've checked the wiring several times and everything checks out. I've also checked and the orginal is not the Infinity system.
Any tips or info please e-mail me.
Thanks,
Robert

I had a 96 Intrepid without the premium sound and I still found an amp in the trunk. It sounded like garbage hooked up to an aftermarket headunit above 1/3 volume. Check the left side of the trunk for the amp there's a bracket for it. I never figured out a fix for it, I ended up installing a new amp and rewired all of the speakers. Hope this helps. Or atleast gives you a place to start.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
gl0-----the four front speakers run in parallel, and each is fed a full-range signal. The tweeters will just have a small capacitor on them to block the bass from reaching them, that's all.
Most any aftermarket radio will power up a pair of regular speakers and a pair of tweeters in parallel just fine.
RRack---unplug the radio, and measure the resistance across each pair of speaker wires---if any of them are close to 0 ohms, the wires are shorted together someplace.
Next, measure the resistance between a good ground and each of the 8 speaker wires. If any of them shows any meaningful reading, that wire is shorted to ground.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic