icon

Gm Passlock Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thym8scallmet 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

I am in the process of installing a Delta pro 5005 alarm system into my 96 Pontac Grand Prix.  I ordered the bypass module from Panther Electronics.  My problem is this.  After the Alarm and remote start is hooked up, the car will start only with the key in the ignition.  Without the key the remote start activates the car and all the lights inside, but not the starter.  I have tested for resistance and hooked everything up as per the instructions.  The bypass has dip swithches that are setable to the resistance.  After hooking everything up,  I noticed that two wires that the bypass module instructions show, are not on the bypass module.  These wires looked as if they were supposed to go to 12v+ And ignition 2, which my car does have.  I called the tech at panther and they told me that I must have set my dip switches wrong.  Am I screwed or is there any way to use what I have?

Thanks for your help.

T

Ickster40 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
check and recheck your dip switches, go once thru your whole install to make sure your connections are good
DJ,Scottsdale Extreme Sound
thym8scallmet 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have done all of that, and have rechecked all my wires.  Still no start without the key. Think I will go get a 555L tommorrow and see if it works.  Any other Ideas are welcome.  Thanks.Gm Passlock Problem - Last Post -- posted image.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Ok my curiosity is getting the better of me so I have to ask, What car do you have and what anti-theft device are you trying to bypass. I ask because you say you have a grand prix and the title of this thread is "passlock problem", but all of my resources show that the Grand prix does not use the passlock anti-theft device, but in 2000 they start using the passkey III. I saw in one place that the Grand prix may have VATS, which would mean you have a resistor in the shaft of the key, but I have never seen a grand prix with that so I doubt that is the case. So all I can think of is that the Grand Am started using the passlock I in 96.
Let me know what you are working with and I can help.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
thym8scallmet 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 96 grand prix with a little black chip in the key.  I was told that in 96 pontiac started using the pass lock system on some of their upper end grand prix.  I am installing a Delta Pro 5005 and ordered the bypass directly from Delta. 
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
1. Bypass modules that are set with DIP swithces, rotating potentionemeters, etc.... are JUNK. For years now, reputable manufacturers have been making modules that program themselves, and don't require fiddling.
2. As jrilla says, you don't need that module anyway---all you have is VATS.
Get your multimeter and measure that resister pellet in the key, with the meter set to Ohms. Go to an electronics store like Radio Shack and buy one resistor of the same value.
You can do this the right way with just one ordinary relay and about five connections----the VATS will only be disabled during remote start. A good remote starter will include instructions on how to do this---a better remote starter will include the resistors too.
Alternately, you can simply connect the resistor directly, without the relay, but then VATS is gone forever---but then your car is easier to steal.
thym8scallmet 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help  I installed the 555L and every thing works perfectly

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic