icon

Amp Recommendation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased two Alpine SWE-1041 subwoofers, rated at 200W rms each. I haven't installed them in my trunk yet because I need to get a dual 10" box, since I only have a single 10" in there currently. I was initially thinking I could run my crappy Jensen LXA300 amp to two ohms to the subs, but they'll only get 100watts rms, and I've heard underpowering them would hurt the subs. I was thinking of a RF Punch 301M or Power 351M, but would'nt like to shell out all the cash for a RF. As for the box, I was about to get a Q logic dual 10" box, but it happened to be out of stock. What do you guys think about Q logic boxes? While your at it, what do you think about the type E subs?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

The only way to run that amp at 2 ohms is to do a 2 ohm stereo load, which is only possible using two of those subs if they're both wired up in parallel, and to a single amp channel.  So the amp would still only be using half of it's power output.

Most likely you'd be giving each sub 75 watts RMS which may or may not be enough power for you--kinda depends on how loud you want it to be.

ANYWAYS, underpowering subs will not damage them unless you're underpowering them to the point where the amplifier starts to clip and you get distorted output.  As long as it's not distorting though, you shouldn't have any problem with them getting less power except that you may find yourself wanting more volumeAmp Recommendation -- posted image..

There are plenty of inexpensive 2-channel amps that'll give you 150 watts RMS per sub really easily.  You don't have to get a $300+ RF amp to get more power.  The Profile CA600 is just one example, and personally I'd take a profile california amp over a jensen amp any day.

I think for most situations Q logic boxes are just fine and will perform very well.  I probably wouldn't use one for an SPL setup but most of the time they work well.  Same thing goes for the Type E subs.

Just make sure all of the equipment is properly connected/set up/adjusted, and also that the enclosure is the correct size for those subs.  As long as you follow those guidelines and just in general listen to your equipment and know when something doesn't sound quite right and when you should turn it down, then you'll be good to go for many years.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
You could also look at the JBL BP600.1 amp. You would get a little under 300 watts per sub based on a 12 volt electrical system.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

Just a note on the Type E's and Q logic Box.... The type E's are an excellent sub they sound great for small applications.  I agree you shouldn't use them at all for SPL or a loud "hear me from a mile away" system but they have great tight bass to them and they will perform very well for you.  The Q Logic box is a different story... there are two types of Q logic boxes.  The first is last years model that has the crappy plastic ring that sits around the sub which also has the really bad plastic piece that you mount the sub onto.  working at Circuit City and selling those boxes so often I have noticed that there are many air leaks if you do not have quality screws and or the box has been used many times.  The new Q logic boxes are definately pimp.  they changed the plastic underpice to rubber and have a plastic grill that is paintable to fit on the interior of that rubber piece to hold it air tight to the wood edge.  You definately want to find this years model over last years.

George

hobbes6981 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
The box I planned to get at Circuit City, where I got the type E's...at a monster deal..75% off the second sub. Its a sealed enclosure with .75 cubic feet per chamber. Since Alpine recommends .6 - 1.25 cubic feet per sub, it should match well. Hey Sonic, since you work at CC, maybe you could tell me if model # ARS QLH10D75 is this year's or last year's model. I plan to silicone the terminal cups in and use some sort of self-tapping screws to secure the subs in.
And thanks for the advice guys....what do you think of the Alpine MRP-M350 Amplifier for my application?
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hey sorry O couldn't get back sooner, work has been busy.  Alright, that sub box model is actually not even the two I was talking about.  The one you have is just a regular box with none of the funy sealed stuff Q logic does.  The one you have will seal up just fine.  If you have problems around the subwoofer because of leaks.  Alpine should have some foam with a sticky side to put around the rim of your subs so that it seal tighter when you screw them down.  You don't really need to caulk anything.  It'll sound excellent without the caulk but then again it could never hurt.  Just make sure not to put to many holes in the top of the box when you mount your amp and use a magnetic sleeve bit when you put thesubs in the box so you don't slip while screwing the subs down and puncture thesurround.  If ya need anything else you know how to contact me

Sonic

hobbes6981 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Sonic,
I won't be mounting any amps to the box, since I have a seperate carpeted mdf board with the amps mounted to it. But I had some problems with my single 10" box and the terminal cup sliding out, so I think I'll still seal up the terminal cups on the new box.
As far as amp choices go, I'm in between purchasing an Alpine MRP-M350 and a Rockford Fosgate Power 351M. Both provide a steep 24 db/octave slope and, being monoblock amps, are 2 ohm stable.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic