icon

where to put all the fuses?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rams Z 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

I was wondering where all the pros put there fuses? Do you use a fuse block somewhere? Do they need to be located somewhere I can find if they blow? Any ideas? On the alarm I'm going to install will have at least 5 fuses.

Rams Z 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

Come on guys....

Nothing?  Just throw em in there and forget about them?  I was thinking of a monitoring system that would have leds indicating if they were good or not and then hide em. But should I worry about them blowing in the first place?

Please respond....

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Fuses on the power wire should only blow if there is a short circuit. You need one within 18 inches of the battery. If you are splitting the main power wire for multiple amps in the back, you should have a fused distribution block. Having the fused distribution block allows you to easily remove individual fuses when servicing an amp. Its also done for safety reasons too.
Rams Z 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks JWorm

The alarm I want to install requires 6 fuses (AvantGuard 4). Is it important to hide these fuses? Is this something the pros do?

my12volts 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
(Use all your fueses every time you make a power connection!!!!!)door locks,parking lights exct....not worth replacing a factory keyless or a ecu...the key to a good alarm install is the prep..if the wire rest @ 12volts then put a fues withen 6 inches of it"s connection all the rest of your fueses can go in the alarm harness ....makes for a better looking install....
ps:i think the AvantGuard 4 install book say to make all constant 12volt connections at the battery so you may wana put ur fuses there....
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
whoops....I read the original post wrong. I didn't know he was referring to an alarm install. I thought it was kinda weird to have an audio related question in this forum...
S10Fan 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
Rams Z wrote:

I was wondering where all the pros put there fuses? Do you use a fuse block somewhere? Do they need to be located somewhere I can find if they blow? Any ideas? On the alarm I'm going to install will have at least 5 fuses.

In my S10 Pickup I used one of the dash speaker locations to install an auxiliary fuse panel. Quick access is gained by removing the speaker grill. The other dash speaker location is now home to several relays. After installing Image Dynamics Mini Horns I no longer needed speakers in the top of the dash.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic