icon

Ford Exped. oem DVD. What's Involved

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobtag 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2003 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

ok I bought one of the same units went to the ford dealer he gave me a list of harnes's I need to use , but when I asked about fitting this to a earlier model (2000) expedition he said the units have changed , however I am getting a harness for my vehicle and just have to change the connector to the player which is now made by delphi, or ,,, you can use the power for the unit off your console dome lights, and then wire in a fm modulator. which is another route 

have you had any luck with finding a harness other then from a dealer ? or came up with any other ideas?

Ken

kdsekh 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

I have a '03 expedition. I do know I need a bracket /plate  which when installed will let this DVD player snap into place with the 3 clips on the unit. I have not had a chance to search out the wiring harness options yet.

Lets keep each other posted as to the progress we make! The guy I bought mine from has sold at least 30 of these brand new units .

Dave

hobtag 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

I think we got them from the same place , where are you located ?

I am in detroit and the ford dealer has been very helpful with part numbers and all here

but i need to convert mine to fit the 2000 so i will need a little different harness then you

do you need the harness numbers ?

Ken

kdsekh 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 5:48 AM / IP Logged  

Ken,

I'm located in Connecticut. Glad your dealer is helpful. Yes the part  #'s for the harness would be very helpful to me! Please post them here or send me a private message .

Dave

vision2 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure if you all are trying to interface this DVD/LCD with the factory head unit. If so, the FM modulator &/or wireless headphones would be the way to go. The '03 Exped needs the frame support bracket to snap in. This should be available at the dealer. '02 and earlier is a bit more involved but will yield good results (as long as you don't mind giving up your rear view mirror usage- when the LCD is down you can't see much out the back). This all depends on if it has rear ac and which year. With rear ac is easier. You can access the air passenge by  taking out the center vent & bend the 3 snap-in tabs on the dvd frame down (since they won't be used here). You will need to make a plate to screw the dvd player/lcd to & insert it above the headliner (it's heavy) so make sure it is secure. Don't screw through the roof! All the wires can run up into the air vent passage from the drivers side (C post). This will save a lot of tearing down of the deadliner. You can order the harnesses or make them easy enough. The unit you purchased should have an extension harness with 1 red wire, 1 black wire, & 10 white wires. This plugs into the DVD player & is an intermediate harness to the truck's wiring. This short harness can be cut & spliced into RCA's for audio, power, ground, illumination, & DVD turn on. I can post the pin outs if you would like to tackle it... There are 2 data wires that "talk" to the communication network. You will not need these if it's on an '02 or earlier or if you don't have the factory radio in the '03. The '03 up should just be able to add the harness & the radio may recognise the DVD- but I haven't messed with that yet. I have a '98xlt, '00eb, '02eb, & '03 eb exped. - I too purchased one of these (for my golf cart though) & it seems to work fine. All I need now is to figure out how to modify the '03 factory NAV/Radio LCD so I can watch DVDs on it in the front!  Hope this info helps. Feel free to pm me if you need further info or I can post the pin-outs here for others.
jdayo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
i have joined the club as a proud owner of the same dvd system.  i also have a 03 expedtion the pin configiration would be wonderful.  if anyone has any success share the info
vision2 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2003 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

It should go in an '03 real nice... but I would recommend using the mounting bracket from Ford for it. It seems to be a good DVD/LCD unit & even has IR remote control ability. If you aren't going to get the harness, I would cut the end off  the jumper harness (truck side) as mentioned in my earlier post & splice there. You should still be able to unplug it from the DVD player. These are the pin-outs I found: (factory wiring color codes in parenthesis)

Look close in connector for pin #'s

1-  Power  constant 12V+   (RED / yel)

2-  Radio/DVD turn on lead 12V+ (lt.grn/BK)  - this turns on the DVD (like an AMP turn on lead from the radio)

3-  Illumination 12V+  (LB/RD)

4-  Shield (BK)

5- DVD Player audio signal LEFT +  (WHT)

6- DVD Player audio signal RIGHT +  (RED)

7- DATA wire- corporate protocol A   (LB/PK)

8- DATA wire- corporate protocol B (TAN)

9- Ground  (BK)

10- Ground (BK/LG)

11- DVD Player audio signal LEFT -  (LG)

12- DVD Player audio signal RIGHT -   (BK)

Basically hook pin 1 to constant 12V+ (Fused at battery-or at fuse panel in passenger kick panel). Pin 2 can be either hooked to a fuse that turns on with the ignition or find pin 5 (LG/BK) of 20 pin connector on back of radio & tap here. Pin 3 illuminates the DVD player buttons & can be connected to pin 1 (LB/RD or RD/BK on Navigator) of 16 pin connector at radio). Pins 5 & 11 (Left audio +/-) get connected to RCA end for FM modulator (or pins 19 & 20 at 20 pin connector at radio if you are not using a modulator). Pins 6 & 12 (Right audio +/-) get connected to RCA end for FM modulator (or pins 17 & 18 of 20 pin connector at radio if you are not using a modulator). Pins 9 & 10 are ground. If you are going to try to connecto to factory radio connect pin 7 of DVD harness to pin 6 (LB/PK) at 20 pin connector at radio & pin 8 at DVD harness to pin 7 (TN) at 20 pin connector at radio, these are the DATA lines that tell the radio there is a DVD player. Pin 4 of DVD player harness is the shield for the audio lines & can be connected to pin 16 of 20 pin connector at radio - but I don't think it really needs to be used... I haven't messed with all the different radios available for the Expedition so hopefully the pin-outs at the radio will still be there on all models.

If you aren't going to try to interface with the factory radio wires, then you will only use Pins 1,2,3,9,10 for power connections & pins 5,6,11,12 for audio connections. Remember to properly fuse all power connections & double check all wiring before applying power to unit. Hope this helps. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

proko34 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

When I first found this post I was discoraged.  Nothing but bad, wrong, and biased info.

But I persisted and weeded out the bad and found the good.  A big thanks to vision2 for his pin outs.

I am now the proud owner of a factory dvd player installed in my '03 expedition, works perfectly, can be controlled from the stereo in front or from the rear seat controls.

I bought my expediton just two months ago ( so it is a newer model, I heard Ford made a change some months ago) it has the six-disk changer in the dash (not-audiophile) rear-air and rear seat audio controls.

USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!  I AM NOT AN EXPERT BUT I CAN INSTALL MOST ANYTHING. I DO NOT GUARANTY THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU.  THIS IS JUST MY SUCCESS STORY! Ford Exped. oem DVD. What's Involved - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

This is how I did it, I bought a bracket from Ford #2L1Z78519K22AA for $35.00.  I lowered the headliner, remove A-pillar grab handels, and trim pieces.  Remove B-pillar trim and seat belts.  Remove C-pillar trim and seat belts, remove coat hooks in headliner, (insert flat screw driver in notch behind flap, turn, wiggle and pull), remove passenger and drivers sun visors, pull down on overhead console, unplug wires for visors (plugs under tape above headliner).  Keep front seats in a medium reclined position and lower headliner down to the seats.  Install Ford's mounting bracket (rear part of bracket clips into notches and front part install under overhead console bracket) install nuts and bolts through new bracket.  I then put chalk on the area where the DVD clips into and pushed the headliner upagainst the bracket (to transfer where to cut) and used a new utility knife to cut through the headliner (easy to cut).  I then installed the wire harness (custom made by me, the dealer said that the wires were unavailible) from the new cut-out down to the drivers side C-pillar.  Put everything back, in the reverse order.

With info I got here and from other sources I found two connectors behind the trim piece on the drivers side C-pillar.  One connector was green (I think it is for the third seat power) and the other was grey (this is the one I used) I SINNED and CUT wires from the grey connector and cut the free end off of the DVD unit.  I didn't cut all of the wires from the grey connector only the ones I needed.  I then made my own "harness" and connected the DVD to the Expedition.

Pin #1 on the DVD goes to #2 on the truck (RED / yel wire) +12vdc

Pin #2 on the DVD goes to #9 on the truck (lt grn/blk wire) asys on or remote turn on

Pin #3 on the DVD goes to ??? on the truck (this pin is for the front panel lights, dimmer, I didn't connect)

Pin #4 on the DVD goes to #1 on the truck (blk wire) this is Left/Right audio shield

Pin #5 on the DVD goes to #6 on the truck (white wire) this is Left +

Pin #6 on the DVD goes to #3 on the truck (red wire) this is Right +

Pin #7 on the DVD goes to #10 on the truck (lt blu/pnk wire) this is A bus data wire

Pin #8 on the DVD goes to #11 on the truck (tan wire) this is B bus data wire

Pin #9 on the DVD goes to ??? on the truck  (this is dimmer return I didn't connect)

Pin #10 on the DVD goes to #7 on the truck (blk/grn) this is -12vdc

Pin #11 on the DVD goes to #5 on the truck (lt grn) this is Left -

Pin #12 on the DVD goes to #4 on the truck (blk) this is Right -

I used speaker wire for the Left and Right audio, I used speaker wire (put in drill and twisted up) for the Abus and Bbus data wire and Red and Black wire for the power connections.

The connector on the truck is a 16 pin connector and the last 5 wires (org, blk shield, pnk, wht, red) I didn't use (they look like more audio wires maybe subwoofer??)

So now for under $200.00 total I have a factory DVD unit that works like it was ment to, I almost went the FM modulator route.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!   HOPEFULLY  YOU  WILL HAVE  THE  SAME  SUCCESS!!!!!Ford Exped. oem DVD. What's Involved - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic