icon

kick panels hole in back

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yamez 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Is it true that most custom kick panels have holes in the back to compensate for the small size of the enclosures?
I'm building some kicks and want to know what I'm doing before I go cutting holes in the back of them..
Thanks!!!
Rjahr01 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
from my best of knowledge most door speakers are free air so it woulnd't matter if you had a leak in the kick pannel... but i'm not positive
Frito 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

a hole would cause problems.

your suppose to make a hole to run wires thorough then seal hole back up. usually people make sealed enclosure kicks. the smaller they are the peakier the response will be from drivers. you will have a peak in the midbass region. most people like this ans sound like youe system has more bass if you dont have a sub. this is the easiest typoe of kick.

you cant make a ported enclosre but requires alot of calculating and skill. and is usually alot bigger.

goodluck

firepower 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
well i've been making kick panels for year's and have attended one of the most well kwon car audio schools in north america and have been certified since 1996 and i never make sealed kick panels unless i'm using an eight inch or bigger in it , i dought your going to this extent so in my opinion free air will be just fine.
mecp
Frito 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

firepower wrote:
well i've been making kick panels for year's and have attended one of the most well kwon car audio schools in north america and have been certified since 1996 and i never make sealed kick panels unless i'm using an eight inch or bigger in it , i dought your going to this extent so in my opinion free air will be just fine.

well I think your right.

i dont have much experience with the open hole enclosure. what does the hole help create? how big does it have to be? We aren't talking about a ported enclosure im assuming, just a hole in back.  A small hole would create turbulence from the pressure inside. so the hole must be a leat an inch of so.

can you give me more info on this???

sealed usually adds to the middbass and "punch" and makes it actually peaky.  most people like this addition to the music.

firepower 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

well if it's your own car go to the junk yard and get  kick panel's from a car with the same one's as your's.then all you  do is build a frame for your speaker enclosure (some small piece's of wood cut on different angle's screwed in to your speaker ring mount's that i've made out from MDF).the small piece's of wood are already screwed to the junk yard kick panel's then mat over top. the rest should be fairly easy to figure out.

i hope this helped

mecp
firepower 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

sorry posted to early .the hole doesn't  really do to much that i've noticed just let's the speaker's and crossover breathe reducing heat from those component's.I have made both style's of kick panel's -without a back and with a back for my own JL  VR's and there is no difference in sound .the difference was a heat factor it got warm after being on for a long time on the backed kick panel were as this problem was reduced with the open backed kick panel. when i say open backed i mean there basically is no back on this kick panel other then the mount point's to car and the frame that you have created to house your spearkers, crossover, neon tube's,l.e.d.'s,etc.

i do agree that if you built them sealed to the right spec's for the speaker's that  on a db test you would most likely see a very small difference,but to the human ear this is not likely noticable,this kind of enclosure is for the high level competator and not ur every day driver.

mecp
yamez 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
If anyone cares...
I e-mailed CDT Audio (I got HD62EF's) and they recommend a .3 cubic foot (8.5 liter) enclosure for the woofer.
FYI...
yamez 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
But yeah, I'm sure the actual difference is slight at most.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic