icon

amp wiring- remote wire q's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stockcivic 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

okay, I installed my amp wires today- I got a power cable running down the driver side panels and RCA cable on the right. integrated into the RCA cable there is the remote turn-on wire but I don't know what to hook that up to, there isn't anything marked. I have a sony x-plod MP3 headunit in my 2000 civic EX and I am not sure what I do to get that wire hooked up (I heard something about splicing into a wire or something also). aside from that, these are all of the wires I need, power cable, fuse and holder, ground cable, speaker wire, RCAs and remote cable- is there anything else? also in my amp wiring kit I have a bunch of butt connectors, spade terminals, and lots of funny things I don't think I need... are these necesities that I have yet to see (I don't actually have my amp yet) or just extras for weird jobs (I have the knukonceptz 4 gauge amp wiring kit)?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
That little wire that is wired with the rca's is the remote wire. You can connect this to your head unit's remote wire and on the other end of your rca's that goes into the amp you would wire that remote wire into the remote input on the amp.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

You need to wire the remote wire from the head unit’s Blue/white wire to the amps remote wire input as Sound Pressure mentioned above. But you cannot use the wire that runs down the center of your RCA cables. When installing you always run all the power cables down one side of the car and all the signal cables down the other side of the car. The reason you do this is when the power cables and signal cables are close to each other you will get unwanted  interference (EMI) commonly referred to as engine noise. Now you remote connection is a power wire and will cause interference with the rca cable. So you must run a separate wire with the power cables for you remote wire.

stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
ahhhh that's wack!!!!! you really think that small of a wire will cause interference on my rca cables, I wouldn't expect it to- it is like 20 gauge... but if I have to I will fix it. aside from that problem I think everything is in order.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Trust me it will. I have seen all too many times.

stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

cool well after about an hour of work (yeah I work REAL slow) I fixed up a nice remote wire running next to my power cable on the totally opposite side of the car as the RCAs. now all I need is the amp! thanks for the help, I am proud to announce that my first installation will be a success, I built a custom box, carpeted it, installed the wires and I have big expectations for the output of this sub... all thanks to you guys!

I have another question, in the trunk I was planning on puting the amp where the spare tire goes and fitting carpet and stuff on top of that to keep it from getting hit and/or getting jacked. would it get too hot there? how do you like to configure your setups, ie amp on back of seats and stuff ?

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to hear that you got it all wired and the construction of your enclosure went well. But to answer you question amps get hot and do need adequate ventilation. If you mount it in an enclosed space you will need fans to cool the amps enclosure. As far as configuring my setups it depends on the car and how much of a custom install I'm going for. But generally the back of the seat and under the rear deck are the most common and easiest to do. If you go to sound domain http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages and look up your car you can get some good ideas.
stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
great! I will put up some pics when I get it all done, thanks for your help!
stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
oh one more thing- do I need to upgrade the ground wire at the negative end of the battery or just add the ground at the amp in the trunk?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic