icon

Amp and Power Inverter Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
M3drvrr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a JL Audio 500/1 amp in my 03 Tahoe. Also, i am going to use a power inverter for a Playstation. Do you guys recommend for me to wire the amp and the power inverter from one 4 ga wire from the battery, or use two different wires.  I do not want the inverter to interfere with the amps performance. The power inverter is 300 watts, and is only for the playstation. I am also installing a 1 farad capacitor.

Any advice is appreciated.

Harry

lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
you can use a distribution block to wire everything up, it wont interfere with the amp
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to be extra careful you could always run a fused distrobution block.
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
yeah thats what i mean, i thought all power distribution blocks are fused? ive seen smaller ones for remote wire etc...non fused..but id fuse the amp with a 60amp fuse or 80amp if your squeezing it a lot and another 60 for the power inverter
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Nope not all that's why i just thought u should add that. There are many different distro blocks that aren't fused. And of course all have there own purpose in the kind of installation your looking for.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Most non-fused distribution blocks are used for joining grounds into a common ground (since grounds don't need to be fused).
Some people will use non-fused distro block and rely on the inline fuse at the battery to take care of the system until the current hits the amp fuses, but if you ask me that's a mistake (and a potential fire waiting to happen).
I've always tried to fuse my power wires not only at the battery, but also at the distribution block. A fused distribution block may cost a little more, but it will end up saving you money in the long run. After all, a replacement fuse is a lot cheaper than a replacement amp or car if a fire gets too bad Amp and Power Inverter Help - Last Post -- posted image.
Even though this example is for a Mustang, the theory would be the same for any vehicle. It's a neat little trick for a clean inverter install... Installing a Power Inverter
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic