icon

simple kill switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
i was working on a 91 camaro, the customer wanted a simple kill switch, so I used a toggle switch and cut the starter wire....well it worked twice then the car didnt want to start anymore. The guy that fixed it said that somethin shorted out and had to run new power wire, I dont know if the guy was just pulling my chain or not to get money, is this possible?? it was only the starter wire...
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
what gauge was the wire? did you try the switch, to see if it was bad.....yeah right shorted something.  he needs to be shorted out.
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
it was the yellow wire (about 12 guage) the switch was brand new, after that it didnt want to crank it would just click somewhere in the dash, so maybe i did mess something up i dont know, whats your opinion? btw i put the starter wire back the way it was and still did the same thing, even put a new battery and still the same
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
does the switch still work?
you may have somehow burnt the switch if it was too low of amperage for a starter switch, and then somehow affected something else somewhere else...most small toggles arent really capable of handling very much amperage...
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
ahhhh it was 10amp, yup i think that did it, thanks
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
first of all a starter wire is high current. a toggle may not be your best bet. you better off using a toggle to control a relay.
two ways to do it .
a normal starter kill setup
pin 87a key side of starter wire.
pin 30 motor side of starter wire,
pin85 an ignition wire
pin 86 a hooked up to a two wire any size toggle switch,
the second wire comming from toggle should be grounded. so when switch is on the car will not start. and off it will.
second way a starter kill setup using the starter wire as an ignition source.
pin 87a and pin 85 looped to gether and connected to key side of starter wire.
pin 85 same thing with toggle switch grounded.
pin 30 engine side of starter wire.
the engine and key side of starter wire has to be correct.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I use a rocker style switch for this exact situation when people just want a kill switch and not an alarm, it's $3...
I get it from advance auto, black in color, easy to hide (not all long and awkward like a toggle switch)....
Just make sure u use the right one, the one I get says "12 Volt" on the package.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
padawan, its more than just 12V, you have to look at amperage...a low amperage switch will probably just burn out like this one seems to have...there is alot of conductivity that goes through a starter wire, so you need a switch that is capable of handling a fair load...
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
yea the current draw is quite substantial, i would just use a relay, that way just about and switch used to activate the relays will work just fine
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well I dunno the amperage on it, but it's never burned out and I've done at least 15 of em for people...
I'll check the package and let u know...but it's gotta be a high tolerance for amps if it's not failing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic