icon

words of advice before i begin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acq810z 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

I finally got my HO alt today and i am going to begin this weekend on installing it on my 97 civic.  is there any words of advice that anyone can give me that have installed these before.  i have a repair manual from Advance auto parts that shows me practically step by step but as we all know those remove/installs happen on a brand new car in a garage that has all the right tools......i just want to have a heads up before i begin

thanks

~Q

Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
YOu should do fine with the Repair Manual, Just remeber is you have a High Output Alternator, make sure to Upgrade your Wires, From the alternator to the battery ....
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
I would also upgrade the wires from the negative terminal on your battery. The guage of your wires should match on the positive and negative terminals.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

GO SLOW!!! then check and recheck your work!

good luck.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2003 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest you upgrade all the power and ground cables from the battery, chassis and alternator to the largest size cable you can. Also do one cable at a time and don’t forget to reconnect any smaller wires you may have to disconnect. You also may need some ring terminals http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=D&Category_Code=APCON and battery terminals to make the new cabling work http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=D&Category_Code=BT
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
lol, MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS THE FIRST THING TO DISCONNECT and the LAST TO RECONNECT!
may save you an expensive fireworks show...lol, I have seen the end result once or twice, heh...
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  
run an extra ground from your bat to the chassis. use 4awg or 2awg.
Big Dave
acq810z 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

thanks.....i am anxious to get everything in so that i can listen to my new system......this is really the last piece....i havent heard my system yet because i knew it would consume more power than what i had so this was the last piece i needed.......thanks all!

~Q

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well good luck on the install and let us know how the system sounds.
acq810z 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2003 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

the alternator is in and every thing checks so far......i need to get some battery terminals to make everything look good but for now what i have works....the system goes in later this week.  thanks for your help everyone....

~Q

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic