the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best HO Alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  
Just curious where everyone has gone to get a High Output Alternator, and which particular manufacture you think is the "Best" and the "Worst" of the bunch.
I know I can figure on $400 - $600 for the better of the bunch, but it's gonna take some time!
Also, has anyone ever installed a 2nd alternator on a '97 Ford Explorer? If it's an easy job (no welding or parts fabrication) then it would be another possibility since I'm going to have a 2nd battery as well. The 2nd alternator would allow me to keep my OEM electrical system the same and run the stereo strictly from the new electrical system.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
I doubt its a no-fab add-on if you were to try a second alternator, and I have heard many people have problems with the second alternator somehow generating noise in the system somehow...not too sure, but I think it may have been an interference problem...
as far as I am concerned, there probably arent many alternators that would be better than an Ohio Generator alternator...the old Phoenix Gold alternators were great too, but they have stopped dealing with the guy that used to build alternators for them...since that time I have heard that people have some issues with the quality and I dont even know if they continue to build them at this point...
I would like to reccommend Irragi alternators as a great alternator...I have one in my car and so does a good friend of mine, as well as many others that I speak with online...Dominick knows what hes doing and puts out great HO alts for a very reasonable price...as far as value, I buy his alternators over Ohio Gen alts cuz the price is sooo much better and the product stands up as well...you can get ahold of him at dominick@tds.net
I have never had a problem nor have I heard of a problem with his products, and he is a great guy to deal with...
as far as having bad experiences, I try to stay away from HO alts from automotive supply houses because I have heard so many people have issues with hissy and/or whiny alternators...I like to go with names that I know I cant go wrong with...
good luck...drop Dominick a line and see what he has in store...he may have a second alt bolton kit for your truck, you never know...
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest Power Masters http://www.powermastermotorsports.com
IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

I have an Ohio Generator alternator---no complaints here.....I love the fact that they provide vehicle specific, direct replacment alternators.

-Cy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic