icon

alt question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
orionmeades 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

i have a 2002 trailblzer with a 140 amp alt i think... im getting ready to build a mega system... but planning first, at least tryin to... first i know i'm going to need a high output alt but not sure how big... everyones saying add all the rms of your amps and divide buy 12.7 ok now the problem ...i have all old school orion amps and everyone knows there very underrated...i have a 2100hcca and (4) 225 hccas the 2100 is going to be running at 1 ohm and the 225s are going to be at 1 and 2 ohms... again not sure of the power im going to need... i know the fuses in the 225s need to be upgraded to 60 amp fuses when you drop the ohm load...if anyone can help i will be very grateful 

thanks

orion

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
If your worried about the amps being underrated I would estimate what you think the rms is and go off of that. Or you could add up the fuses on the amps and use that as your amp age rating for the system, then factor in how many amps the cars electrical system pulls.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2003 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
one choise is to get a 600amp emergancy vehicle alt. it will have a seperate voltage regulator. and cost about 700.00 bucks or more, but you will have your bases covered.
Big Dave
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2003 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
if you have one of the first or second generation 2100HCCAs you are looking at some pretty serious power consumption...in 1 ohm mono you could potentially be pulling upwards to 200A with that amp on its own...
however, if your 2100 is the same generation as your 225HCCAs then it probably wont really be near as bad...what generation is your 2100? is it fused?
the original 2100s were absolute power pigs...almost as bad as you could get in a A/B amp...not quite as bad as a pure class A amp, but still horribly inefficient...now, if your 225s are of the same generation as the 2100, they are about 1/4 the power and therefore 1/4 of the power consumption...so, in theory, you are looking at about 400A for the stereo alone if its going to be working hard, and then your trailblazer can also consume about 110-120A of power when everythnig is running hard...so just on that theory, you are looking at over 500A of power consumption in your vehicle...
what are you going to be driving with these amps? it sounds like a pretty heavy duty setup...I would love to see some pics if or when you get done, because I love that old gear...not many people have an appreciation or even knowledge of what those amps are or what they are capable of doing...some nice stuff there...
orionmeades 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2003 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the info everyone...FYI all my amps are the second generation...very power hungery but well worth it ...im thinking about running (2) JL Audio W-7  13.5 on the 2100hcca and the other 225s will be for mids and highs...going to be putting horns under the dash and seperates in the rear...not sure what kind of mids and highs yet... but i'll keep everyone informed ...lol gotta get my rims and tires first
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2003 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

It should hit hard!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic