icon

2 ohm load for 2 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2003 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Just giving an update and need some info.
I've got 2 10" Alpine type E subs (200W RMS each), and just bought an Alpine MRP-M350 to run them. When I'm setting it up, I'll be wiring for a 2 ohm load. I understand the diagram Alpine provided for wiring to 2 ohms, but what I needed to know was what is the proper way to tap into wires...i.e. strip off some insulation and wrap the second wire around the it...now do I insulate it with just electrical tape, or should I use heat shrink tubing...or is there some other way I should insulate it? I've never had to tap into wires thus far....I've never wired for 2 ohms for any components before either.
thanks
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

yea and just solder the two wires together after you've twisted your new wire around the wire you're tapping in to.  Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing will work fine--either one can be used it doesn't really matter.  If u use electrical tape though use some good stuff that's sticky and flexible (i.e. 3M Scotch Super 33+)

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks Ethan. I've got both heat shrink tubing and scotch electrical tape, so I've got all bases covered there.
thanks again
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
There is an easier way if you wanted... You could just strip of your + and - from one speaker wire and put it into the sub terminal then from that terminal strip off the other side of the speaker wire and before you put it in to that sub terminal strip off another speaker wire and twist the + and + together and the - and - and stick each set of + speaker wires in the + of the terminal and then do the same for the - speaker wires.  this way you don't have to do any soldering/taping.  Hope that helps....
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic