ohm and wattage question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lytheum 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

wvsquirrel wrote:
The BP600.1 is a Mono amp, rated 600 x 1 @ 1 or 2 ohms based on a 14.4 volt electrical system. The amp has 2 sets of terminals for ease of wiring multiple subs, but it is Internally bridged already making it a technical 1 channel amp. Regardless if you use 1 or both sets of terminals, you still only have 1 real channel. If you wire only 1 sub to the amp, then you would only use 1 set of the terminals, not the + from 1 and the - from the other. If you wire 2 subs to it, then you put sub1 on one channel, and sub2 on the other. When you figure out the total ohm rating, you still base it on 1 channel (even though you are using 2 due to the internal bridge). It's confusing at first, but if you do an external bridge on that amp you run a serious risk of producing less than a 1ohm load without even realizing it.
In Lytheum's case, you would wire each DVC to it's own channel in parallel. Using 8ohm DVC's will yield 4ohms per terminal set, 2ohms overall due to the internal bridge. You will receive apx. 600 x 1 @ 2ohms, or 300 watts per sub. If you want a diagram let me know and I'll e-mail you one since I still can't post pics on the new 12volt server

sure......email me the diagram if ya dont mind ( Lytheum at Adelphia dot net )

Whats more confusing is conflicting answers I have been finding.  The way you just and the other guy explained it make sense to me, but then there are the people that say each sub will get 600w which doesn't make sense to me.  I just want to make sure before I buy because 600w to the sub will probably blow it.

nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Lytheum, i use to have the same problem when ppl explained it too me. Then i ended up asking my old man who is an Electronic technian and he set me straight. But yeah i was a little taken back again when i say a post saying you would get 600 per sub.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
You have to look at the total RMS output per channel, then divide that by the number of subs on that channel. The JBL BP series makes it a little more difficult to understand because it has 2 physical sets of + and -, but they are really just the same channel. I guess people got tired of wiring 2 subs to the same channel, so JBL thought it would be easier to offer 2 sets of + and - for ease of installation, while retaining the Mono function. But, if you aren't familiar with those amps then you could easily think it is a 2-channel amp just by the look. However, the power rating is 600 x 1, not 600 x 2. The rating references the number of watts produced per the number of channels listed. So a 600 x 1 amp will distribute 600 watts total over 1 channel. A 600 x 2 amp will distribute 600 watts per channel, or 1200 watts overall. To divide the watts per number of subs, you simply divide the per channel rating by the number of subs on that channel as I said before. So, a 600 x 1 amp running 2 subs will:
1) Distribute 600 total watts to the 1 channel
2) Each sub will receive 300 watts (Total channel RMS/#subs on that channel = 600/2 = 300 watts per sub)
I'll send the pic as soon as I can
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic