Posted: July 23, 2003 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
punch 200s specs:
Per channel power 50 W X 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
100 W X 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
200 W X 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS
Total power 400 Watts Peak/Max
pushes 2 premier:
200 nominal 4ohms
will this under drive it if i bridge and parallel?
thinkin parallel get to 2ohms and the power will be at 400. is this right?
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Read your manual and see if your amp can actually push a 2 ohm load in the bridged mode. From the above information you can not, if you do it will blow. I would run it in 4 ohm stereo mode, one channel to each speaker, or buy a second one and bridge both, run one to each speaker, this should give you the 4 ohm load and maximum power you are looking for. I did this with a pair of kenwood 600 watt amps and a pair of jbl 12's and it worked out pretty well and bumped, considering the I didn't spend over 5 bills on it.
BigJMan 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

NO,

what you are trying to do is 400w RMS x 1 @ 2ohms (with your Premier Subs in parallel). Your amp can't do that -the amp your using is only stable w/ 200w RMS x 1 at 4 OHMS, and will probably (almost certainly) overheat if you try to do 400w RMS x 1 @ 2ohms - trust me I've done it :( .

I would suggest getting a 2 channel amp (their better suited to your subwoofer amplication, and will probably work a little more reliably than a 4 channel) that can push about 4 times as much power as the 4 channel you have right now. That's right a "800w Amp", cause you're trying to push 400w RMS. That means either look for a monoblock amp that pushes 400wRMS x 1 @ 2 ohms, or a 2 channel amp that puts out 200w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms.

Sorry for the bad news, looks like you might have to invest a little cash in a more powerful amp to get the full potential out of your subs.  I hope I read all those specs right, If I didn't let me know.

1992 Lincoln Towncar Cartier
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
Stereo System - Working On It :)
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
thats what i thought. am just makin sure, my buddy tells me thatll push it.
profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
im installin this for this other guy, but my buddy insist that the amp will push it. he said that rockford pushes more than it tells. i told him that it wont be stable at 2ohms. he also tell me that if rockford overheats it will shut down (i know it has thermal protection). what should i tell him. what are the consequences that will happen, so i can tell him.
Houston,TX
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
find a Class D mono block stable down to 1 ohm. the you have all the power you need. run the rf on your mids and highs
Big Dave
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
Rockford falls in with most other manufacturers where the mono stability of multi-channel amps is concerned. 2ohms Stereo and 4ohms Mono is the lowest you can go without either...
1) Shutting down the amp
2) Causing the amp to Clip, which can damage the amp and/or subs
3) Destroying the amps circuitry
What your friend was referring to about Rockford amps "pushing more then they tell" has to do with Continuous Power Output (or RMS output), not the minimum impodence (ohm) stability. Most of the time RF amps will outperform their rated power specs, like a 500 watt amp may actually push 550+ watts. But the minimum stable ohm load does not change. If they say a minimum of 4ohms mono/bridged then they mean it!
And yes, you will be underpowering the subs if you hook them up to that amp. The only safe ways to hook them up are either 1 sub per channel (50 x 2 @ 4ohms), or hook both subs up to only 1 channel (not bridged, just hooking both subs up to only 1 channel), left or right it doesn't matter (100 x 2 @ 2ohms). Either way you'll only get 50 watts per sub. So that's underpowerring them by 150 watts a piece.
What you want is either...
A) 1 Class AB 2-channel amp rated: 200 x 2 @ 4ohms
B) 2 Class AB 2-channel amps rated: 200 x 1 @ 4ohms mono/bridged
C) 1 Class AB 4-channel amp rated: 200 x 2 @ 4ohms mono/bridged
D) 1 Class D Mono amp rated: 400 x 1 @ 2ohms
Always rate based on the RMS rating of the amp and the correct ohm load. Don't get fooled by the "Max Power" rating. It's bullsh*t, and you'll never get it. Most of the time the max power rating is a millisecond before the amp melts itself into a molten pile of steaming metal, and they have to use an ungodly amount of amperage to even get close to it.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
thanks squirrel, ill be sure to tell my buddy this. he actually studyin electrical engineering.
Houston,TX
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
no prob
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic