icon

which is better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
demond96 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2002 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
I have been reading some other questions asked by other guys and I have noticed talk of ohms to different sub arrangements. which is better 1, 2, or 4 ohms for three dvc 4 ohm 12"  subs, pushed by a 2 ohm amp.
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2002 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
single-channel or stereo amplifier? can it be bridged?
If the subs are 4-ohms per voice-coil, you're best off sticking to two subs, and running 2-ohms stereo.
Or, get 4 SVC 12" subs, and wire two pair in parallel and get a stereo 2-ohm load that way
ooooor, go buy something like an Orion HCCA series amplifier (two for sale in the classifieds section here) and wire all 3 of those subs in parallel, so that all voice-coils are parallel, as are all 3 subs, and run it on that 225HCCA, which is rated to a 0.5-ohm load stable.
This will give you about a 0.75-ohm load on that 225HCCA if you bridge the amplifier mono and run it as a single-channel amp for all three subs.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
demond96 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
thank you for your quick response, the amp is a 2-ch bridgable amp. I saw on a display pushin six dvc (I don't know the how they were wired)12" subs in a shop in Miami. The amp has a nice sound, nothing to complicated for me to install, for about 2hundred $ I thought it was a nice deal, so I brought it. how much is the 225HCCA orion amp? Again thank you.
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Someone in classifieds has one for sale for $300 if I recall
anyway they probably had those subs in Miami wired into a series-parallel configuration to balance out teh impedence load to around two ohms. If they were DVC, they could be wired as 2-ohm or 8-ohm, and each speaker from there could be wired to the others so that the final outcome was anywhere from 0.33-ohm to a 48-ohm load. It all depends on their wiring really.
-GlassWolf
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
PS $300 isn't bad. Retail on the 225HCCA if I recall is around $750
-GlassWolf

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic