icon

ported or sealed s.u.v. box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 tahoe. I also have 3 jl 12 w3's in a 3 cubic foot sealed box. my amp is a soundstream class a 10.2 pushing a little over 1000 watts. I had the sealed box in my camaro and it sounded good but it seemed like it was not as loud as it could be, it also didn't hit very deep. I am considering putting in a large ported box instead of the small sealed one. I have never owned a big ported box and I have never really heard one. Does the sound quality drop as much as people say? Would I be better off with one. What are your opinions? I do like sound quality but shaking my mirriors off is also important.
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well the ported box will give you more of a thunder but not as tight of bass as the sealed box.  If you want to really shake things up, put in a bandpass but that's pretty hard to find a quality one especially for three 12's.  The ported box allows a lot more vibrations. I have one made from subzone and the trick is to try and tune the ports the air/vinrations are coming out of.  If you have tubed ports and cut them to the frequency the subs run perfectly at then you'll hit really hard, pretty tight, and unbelievably loud.  the W 3's will compensate for the loudness. they are quality subs.  Hope that helps.  www.thezeb.com has awesome boxs and free shipping!!! 
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
I prefer sealed enclosures. They are more forgiving if you have the incorrect volume, and can hit harder at more frequencies. You can also throw more power into them without shredding your subs or getting a lot of distortion.
A ported box will perform great at the "tuned" frequency, but don't expect much power at lower-then-tuned frequencies. You don't have to throw a lot of power into a ported box to make it sound good, which is a benefit if you are on a budget.
Which model Soundstream (Human Reign, Davinci, Tarantula, Van Gogh, Rubicon II, D'Artagnan 5.1, or Edge)?
And which model 12W3V2 (2, 4, or 6ohm DVC)?
About your current enclosure...
Did you built it yourself or was it a factory made enclosure?
Are there 3 seperate chambers, or is it 1 large chamber?
3 cu. ft. actually sounds a bit small. JL recommends 1.25 cu. ft. per sub (not including sub displacement). You would be amazed how much better it could sound with a proper sized sealed enclosure.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
I have another thread goin about almost the same subject...someone told me to put my 15 solo baric into a ported box and if done corrrectly it will sound louder than 2 12s, I want my bass to be DEEP!! and to travel far, will i get that response from a ported box or go with a sealed box? yet some say i wont get that because im putting it into a accord sedan so it wont have enough room to breath so im stumped!!
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
The acoustics of the vehicle play a role in the sound. Put the exact same enclosure in a hatchback, and it will sound differently than in a trunk.
You can get deeper bass from a ported enclosure, but you have to have it tuned to the proper frequency. If it's not tuned right then it will not sound good. The bass is also not as crisp as it would be in a sealed enclosure. IMO that limits the SQ depending on what you listen to. I listen to a wide variety, from classical to rap, and if I was tuned to 1 particular type of mysic then the rest would sound like crap.
You may also have to play with the position of the enclosure for the best sound in your car (facing up, back, or forward). I have 2 Punch HX2's in my '02 mustang trunk in a sealed enclosure and it will shake fillings out of your teeth. And there's only less then 1 foot between the subs and the rear of the trunk. As with any enclosure, you want as much "breathing room" as possible around the enclosure. With a Ported enclosure you would want to keep as much room as possible clear from around the ports in particular.
Believe it or not, having the windows rolled up or down will affect the sound as well. Your cabin acts as a sealed enclosure of its own with the windows up. Roll the windows down and you just created "ports" for the sound to escape/elongate.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
The box is one open chamber. It used to sit in the back of a 97 camaro. I stuffed it with 3 lbs. of polyfill to simulate a bigger box but it still sounds stifled. The local JL audio dealership built the box. They used the "JL Audio Bible" which they use to optimize the box and subs for your vehichle application. The subs are 3 JL 12 w3's, the old ones and they are d4's. The amp is a rubicon class a 10.2. It is chrome plated and will really perform well. I had it dyno tested at 1095 watts at 2 ohms and it is 1/2 ohm stable. I would definately be interested in a large sealed enclosure if it would really do much better but everyone so far said it would not help much. As far as tuning a ported box to your speakers could anyone elaborate on that. I am new to the whole ported box thing. Also my budget is limitless. I have stinger hpm wires, expert rca's, expert dist. blocks, platinum terminals, stinger 1 farad cap, and a secondary optima yellow top that all came out of my camaro and is going back into my tahoe when I get the time.
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

Yeop.  I have an '02 Tahoe and wanted to put in a JL10w6.  I was inquiring around and people stated a sealed box would be the way to go.

ported or sealed s.u.v. box -- posted image.

fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have '96 Tahoe that started out with 2 12's in a sealed box and I wasn't real impressed with it. I went with 2 15L7's because I also wanted something low and loud. I built my own box giving each sub about 5 cubes and built 2 ports into each chamber. Now I can block one port on each side and change the tuning between 25 and 45 Hz. If you are careful about the design and construction, a ported box can sound just as good or even better than a sealed box. I've got the low loud bass that you feel more than hear, but its still pretty clean and tight, not real boomy.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
With the right specs a ported box can sound excellent. The only problem is they are less forgiving with internal volume then sealed enclosures, which makes them more difficult to build. You also run the risk of "port noise", which I believe is distortion caused by the port itself.
Either way, it's usually recommended to run each sub in it's own chamber instead of 1 large chamber, regardless of if it's a ported or sealed enclosure.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2003 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
so I should just go with a sealed box in the trunk? (95 accord) i want DEEP i mean DEEP bass that travels...u know setting off alarms...will i get that with a ported or sealed box?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic