icon

ported or sealed s.u.v. box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JPHill 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
i think a sealed one because they travel pretty far.once i was inside my friends house and i could hear the house creeking and rattling because of this car or something like 2 or 3 blocks away. i mean this system was deep and he wasnt nowhere in sight for like a couple blocks at least
audiomecanix 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
get ported. but make sure its made for that sub your installing. don't buy a pre-fab unless it is made for that type and brand of sub. ported has alot of lowend response. if built right that sucker will pound.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
A sealed box will be the most accurate bass you will get in your car but as for eficiency I would say that the ported will sound louder with the same power input than the sealed, But a sealed box can make your sub handle more power than a ported box and with a good amount of power in a sealed box you can get bass traveling blocks. Personally I like the sealed but if you are looking for a whole lot of bass without investing in a huge amp then go with a ported or bandpass.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
also keep in mind that a ported box will always run bigger than a sealed so if space is an issue sealed may be a better choice . Different music souinds better on diferent types of boxes generally rap and rock sound good on a ported box because of the added output it will give over a sealed,,again if you feed a good quality sub enough power in a properly matched sealed box the basss will sound better and be pretty damn loud.
Special-K 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

All depends on what u want. Ported will sound very good, but sealed will give you more bass.

c.c. 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2003 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
actually special-k,  its the other way around...the ported will give you more bass at the tuned freq., and the sealed will be more acurate, provided the boxes are built to the sub specs.  i have a pair of infinity reference 1030w's in my trunk now, and have built ported, sealed, and bandpass boxes, just to see what the difference would be.  i threw out the bandpass box as there was nothing above 55-60 hz, i kept the ported for the occasional spl attacks, _tuned to 28hz_  and i keep the sealed enclosures for everyday, SQ. so, yes, it depends on what you want.
toyota echo...perfect sound named vehicle
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic