icon

99 Tahoe Revisited - Last Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steveholtam 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2002 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help Chris and others, everything except the remote start is now working fine.  I have reconnected the passlock, and can tell that it is not the problem, because when I try the remote start without the key in the Run position, it does not get as far as it does when remote starting with the key in the Run position.

Whats going on is the starter engages, the car sounds like its going to start then dies.  I checked all the voltages on the high current wires, and they all show the appropriate voltages at the proper times. (Two reds, a yellow, a brown and a purple)  I have not hooked up the orange wire, but for testing purposes, applied 12v to the orange wire just to be sure and it did not make a difference.

The tach wire has been hooked up to the white wire at the black box on the drivers side front fender labeled "White" per Chris's wiring chart.  I have set the brain to both Tach sense and auto-sense, and it seems to make no difference

I have tested and ruled out the brake and hood safety wires, as the starter will not engage if either of these wires is triggered. 

My alarm does have a stop-n-go option, and per Chris's instructions, tried this with the car running.  With my alarm, I have to press button #1 for two seconds while the car is running and then after a chirp or something, I can pull out the key.  When I press the button for two seconds, the alarm goes off.  After typing this I just had a thought that the remote start must not realize the car is running.  Is this due to the tach wire?  Or something else? 

Thanks,
Steve
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2002 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Steve,

If I'm reading you correctly, you may have the wrong ignition wires powered up.  You're saying two red, a yellow, a brown and a purple?  Those are the colors on the Tahoe, not on your remote start, right?

Here's what should be hooked up:

Constant power:  two red wires.....use either one you like, or if your remote start has more than one constant power input, tie each of them into each red wire, to spread out the load.

Ignition:  One pink, and one white.  They'll both show power while the key is in Run or Start.

Starter:  yellow or purple.  There should only be one starter wire.  I did a '99 Suburban a week ago, and the wire was yellow.

Climate controls:  orange.  Shows power only while in Run.  (The car should/will still remote start and run even if you don't hook this wire up....the climate controls won't work of course....but the car will still run.)

Radio:  brown.  Shows power with key in Accessory or Run.  (not needed for remote start.)

All of these wires are the exact same size, very thick wires.  And they all run together.

It was smart of you to put the unit into auto-sense, as it will give you some clue as to whether the tach wire is the problem.  Also, the unit most likely has some procedure to "learn" the vehicle's tach rate; have you performed that procedure?  If the "learn" is successful, you most likely have the correct tach wire. 

P.S.  You mentioned you moderate a home-audio site.  What's the address?  And does anyone make a home theater receiver anymore that has a tape-monitor loop?

steveholtam 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

My units "smart sense" does not have a learn abilty, it just senses a difference in the cars voltage and thats that.  Does anyone know what type of signal the tach wire is looking for?  Im just looking for of a way to either trick the wire for test purposes or to confirm that I have my tach wire hooked up to the right wire.

I moderate at http://www.hometheaterspot.com  There should be a room there for receivers, as well as specific brands if you perfer.  Another good site is http://www.avsforum.com

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic