icon

car stereo install in 1992 mercedes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris bern 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2003 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
 Does any one no where i can get a wireharness to install an after market stereo into a 1992 mercedes 190e. I would rather not cut the factory wires. Also can someone e mail me the wiring color codes for hooking up the stereo. wiring diagram. at ckkbern@msn.com thanks in advance chris b....
chris b
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2003 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
to my knowledge, no such harness exists for mercedes applications
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2003 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
actually crutchfield sells the harness that you need.  You should still use the factory fader knob, and just hook up one set of speaker wires from your aftermarket head unit.  You won't use the green and purple  wires that come with this Metra harness.  I believe the harness is the Metra 70-1860.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
wow thats awesome, had no idea they even made a mercedes harness
crichols82 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield will also give you detailed instructions of the install procedure if you think it might be complicated.  They are a little overpriced car stereo install in 1992 mercedes - Last Post -- posted image. but if you dont like troubleshooting, and you you think you are gonna have a lot of questions, they are the way to go
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

yea just to clarify, I'm not totally sure that harness is made by Metra.  I just assumed it was because Crutchfield sells only metra stuff I think.  and plus it has the crutchfield item number that ends in what looks like a metra part number.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Chris bern 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replys but the harness they offer doesnt fit the 1992 190e. Is it difficult to cut the wires and direcly wire in these cars? the car has an external fader and i hear that i need to use it and wire the aftermarket radio into 2 channels into the factory fader.how do i do this.anyone have wire color codes/diagrams for this car?
chris b
esmith69 
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

What do your plugs look like?  I coulda sworn that that harness was the correct one but maybe I was thinking of the 90 and 91 E class.  Anyways, with the fader knob there's usually just 4 speaker wires  up at the radio's wiring :a positive and negative for the left side, and a positive and negative for the right side.  The rear speakers are wired into the fader (don't ask me how it works cuz I've tried to figure out before but never did find out--I just know that it workscar stereo install in 1992 mercedes - Last Post -- posted image.).

All you have to do is hook up either the 4 wires from the front speaker outputs (grey, grey/black, white, WHITE/ black)  OR the 4 wires from the rear speaker outputs (green, GREEN/ black, purple, PURPLE / black) of your aftermarket head unit to those vehicle's 4 speaker wires, and with the fader knob set at the middle position it should be 50/50 as would be expected.

Most likely unless you can get a photo of your wires for us to look at, you're gonna have to use a multimeter and speaker popper to determine the correct wires.  Although you really should be using a meter to verify the wires anyways.car stereo install in 1992 mercedes - Last Post -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic