icon

97 Hyundai Elantra....need wiring help.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brianlap 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

OK, I'll explain the problem first.  I trying to replace the stock speakers in my 97 elantra.  The wiring diagrams on this site are no good to me because all of my wires a different colors than the what this site says.

On the left side, I have a Solid Brown wire and a black+white wire.

On the right side, I have a Solid White wire and a black+green wire.

Now the pairs of wires that came with my speakers have a solid white and a black+white.  I assumed solids go to solids, and stripes to stripes.  After all,  the connector on the left that I took off had the Solid brown going to the positive terminal of the old speaker and the black white to the negative terminal.  Same for the right side, white to positive, striped to negative.

So I'm driving down the road, speakers pounding, and the check engine light came on after about 15 minutes.  I unplugged the speakers, and 5 minutes later, the light went out and stayed out.  I assume this means that the speakers were connected wrong even though there were putting out sound.

My question is....If i connected the positive and negative terminals of my new speakers to the exact wires used for positive and negative on the old speakers....shouldn't they work fine?  Whats up with the check engine light?

The new speakers are Pioneer ts6960a 6x9's

Thanks.

brianlap 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

Never mind, I figured it out.

The stock speakers had mislabeled terminals.

Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
97 Hyundai Elantra....need wiring help. -- posted image.
brianlap 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, so maybe i didn't figure it out.

I just called the hyundai dealorship in my town and they tell me that the left brown wire is + and the left BLACK/ white is -.   They say the right solid white is positive and the right BLACK/ green is negative.

Now this is the way the stock speakers were connected.  But when I connect the new speakers the same way, I get a check engine light...but they do make good sound.  When I switch the positve and negative on each speaker the check engine light goes out, and stays out, and the speakers still sound great.

Something is messed up.  If the stock speakers were mislabled, that would mean that:  left brown= neg    left BLACK/ white= Pos.     Right white=neg.and right BLACK/ green = pos.    But Hyunda tells me this is the wrong way to connect the speakers......I'm getting confused here.

I know the speakers work the way I have them connected now, but its annoying me.  I have to know which wire is which.

Does anyone have any ideas?

sufferrar 
Copper - Posts: 190
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Trace ecah speaker wire with a meter from one end of the wire to the other .Verify each speaker wire and i dentify them . forget about the wire colour that the dealership and this site gives because it can confuse you . just use common sense and good judgement to figure it out. Trace from deck to the speakers . to check for polarity attach a 1.5 volt battery to the speaker leads and if the cone moves out then positive on the battery is positive on the speaker. what brand and mode of the deck ? if you can get the wiring of the deck it will be much easier ..
"I'm So Loud It Hertz"
brianlap 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have a JVC kd-sx980

And thanks for the tips.  I'm going to go check with a battery to see if they move in or out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic