icon

inverter with ps2 and wavy lines

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cowthief 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i have got some probs.  I have my stuff installed by a professional (that doesn't mean much) lol.  When i switch my indash dvd to AV and flip on my power inverter and ps2 i get wavy lines in all 3 screens.  Ok now here is my problem.  I ran an extension cord from my house to the ps2 and got a beautiful picture on all 3 screens.  So i am thinking its my power inverter.   I have tried 5 different brands...ran the inverter straight to the battery, to the ignition and the relay.  I have also tried relocating the inverter and still wavy lines =(  Whats next to try?  i am gonna try a better ground.  It can't be my rca's.  Thanks in advance.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

lol I'll ignore the comment about stuff being installed by a professional (hey not all of us are imcompetentinverter with ps2 and wavy lines -- posted image.).

Anyways, I'd definitely try a better/different ground.  You can always try to run the ground straight to the negative battery terminal and see if that helps at all as this would help you narrow it down.

Also if the inverter requires a switched power wire for a turn on, try temporarily just touching the inverter's turn on wire to the same wire that the inverter gets its main power from.  This will let you know whether or not something with the wiring for the ignition and the relay is messed up.

You said you tried relocating the inverter but there were still wavy lines....what/where exactly did you do/try?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Cowthief 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

i moved it outside the car once and still had the lines...and another time i put it under the drivers seat.  It was under the passengers seat.

It has a switch to turn the inverter on and off.  Can you explain what you meant by that a little more clear sorry heh.

Cowthief 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Well today i tried new grounds everywhere.  I am gonna try taking a battery and just hooking it up to that.  Not my car battery another one alone.  This could tell me if its my wire i need to replace.  My have bad connection or just sucky wiring.  If anyone has anything else i can try it would be greatly appreciated before i throw most of this stuff in the trash lol
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well you had said you "ran the inverter straight to the battery, to the ignition and the relay" so I took that to mean your inverter had a direct turn on connection rather than a manual switch.  I know some of those inverters are meant to be permanently installed and stuff and I wasn't sure if yours was and had an automatic turn on type thing (which would only work if it had a remote turn on wire that receives a +12v signal whenever the car is on). 
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
I really dont have an answer to your problem, but what it seems is happening is that you are seeing the cycles of AC electricty on your screen. I think the reason that it didnt happen when you ran the extension cord from your house is that you are getting a much cleaner and much more regulated power supply than what you are getting from your inverter. Personally, I dont think its a problem with the install or the inverter, what I would try just for the hell of it would be some other video source, maybe the power supply in the PS2 is being tempermental. Like I said, im not really sure how else to solve this problem, but its def some type of electrostatic interference that you are seeing in your screens.
Cowthief 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

I tried it with a ps1 and got the same thing....tomorrow i am trying an xbox.  I am gonna try another battery and hooking it up to that.  Maybe i was getting engine or alternator interfence.

Cowthief 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Xbox didn't work....so some how i am getting a frequency from the battery/alternator.  My next thing to try is a seperate battery with nothing connected to it except a power inverter. It it shows clean then i know its my alternator and car battery.  Hell i may need a new alternator.  May be signs of a weak alternator surging power through, not a steady current.
Himself 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

You said you have 3 screens, and I'm wondering how the "pro" split your video signal? Did they use a powered video booster?

What?
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem with the ways lines on 2 monitors. i tried using just an Y-adaptor and the pic was really fuzzy.  so i bought a video signal booster. fixed all my problems

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic