icon

Galant Stock Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Machine 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

This may be a completely rediculous question, but I need to know. Yes I am new.

Is it possible to hook up an auxillary channel to (i.e. remove FM radio 2 and make it an audio input) a stock radio?

Where can a I get an electrical drawring for the radio?

I want to hook-up an MP3 player to my stock radio.

-Machine

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
You will need to get a FM Modulator http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-RBXsSLBCLQb/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=2&g=42500&I=020FM200S+ You will hook the mp3 player to the modulator and it will play on a certain fm frequency.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

That's not a ridiculous question at all.  You can use an fm modulator and get pretty good sound quality, and still keep your stock radio.  What year galant do you have?  Because the modulator will require its own power/ground connection and you'll probably want to tap in to the wires in your stock radio's harness (i.e. strip off some insulation while leaving the wire intact, then twist the modulator's wire around the radio harness wire, and solder and/or tape up the connection).  There are a couple different possible pinouts for mitsubishis so take a look first at this diagram and if its plugs don't match the size/shape of your radio's plugs then go to the next page (there are 4 mitsubishi pages total I think).

In all of the diagrams, the pin labeled "BATT" is the constant power connection and the pin labeled "ACC" is the switched power connection.  Some FM modulators will require you to hook up both wires, while others just need a switched power wire.  Finally, Mitsubishis have no separate ground wire--you just run the modulator's ground wire to a spot of bare metal behind the dash (usually the factory radio mounting brackets will work fine).

Also there are some auxilliary input adapters for different makes & models that basically turn a stock radio's cd changer connection into an auxilliary input connection, but I was not able to find any for mitsubishis....

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
lol yea or the clarion one will work too--doesn't really matter which one you choose in my opinion
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Machine 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

2001 Galant.

Thanks for all the info so far. I am new to all this stuff so I am going to read what you sent me and see what I can do!

What is a good place to get LCS screens?

-Machine

Machine 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

LCD that is.

-Machine

icensyeira 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

i have a  somewhat similar problem with my 97 Galant, i bought it 2nd hand and the battery died on me, after recharging it the radio is now asking me for a code, i tried calling the old owner but he wouldn't answer my calls, Mitsubishi on the other hand is gonna charge me $70 for this, I am very reluctant to pay for this coz i bought the car and think that is unreasonable, is there any chance you would know of the code?

im also thnking of jus replacing the unit if i can't get the old code, problem is i would need the diagram of the stock radio. please help?

thanks in advance.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic