icon

Camry install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ksievers 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
I am putting a system in my daughter's '99 Camry CE. Any tips on how to handle the door retaining clips, installing a Sony CD/receiver, etc., are most welcome. Do I need a trim kit or bracket for the receiver? thanks- KS.
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
What do you mean by door retaining clips? and no you shouldn't need a dash kit because its a one din space.
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
ksievers 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
there is a clip(s) that holds the panel to the door. I've ordered a Crutchfield tool that is supposed to get those off w/o breaking them, but not sure 1) if I need the tool, and 2) how to handle it all, getting the clips out, etc... thanks for the help - KS.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

Does the vehicle have power windows?  If not, then you'll have to remove the window crank in addition to those clips.

Now for the clips, the best way to do it is to wedge the tool in between the metal and the plastic panel and just put a little prying pressure on it and move it along the edge. You want to find where it gives you the most resistance--should be about every 12 inches or so, all around the perimeter of the door panel (except for the top part near the window).    Wherever it give you the most resistance is where the clips are and so you can apply a good deal of force to pry them out.

I personally like to use one of these tack pullers because they work well with these clips.  I usually try to pull all of the clips out of the metal door part at least, and then pop them back into the door panel that i just removed.  This way when it comes time to put the door panel back on, having the fasteners in place makes it easier for you to properly line up the panel with the holes in the metal door.

Here's the scosche directions for the door panel removal, in case you need them.:

1. POP OUT SCREW COVER AND REMOVE SCREW FROM BEHIND.

2. EXTRACT (2) SCREWS FROM ARM REST BEHIND COVERS.

3. POP OUT SCREW COVER AND REMOVE SCREW IN THE DOOR RELEASE

HOUSING CUP.

4. POP OUT TRIM/RELEASE CUP WHERE THE DOOR HANDLE AND LOCK

SWITCH PIVOT.

5. EXTRACT (2) SCREWS FROM BELOW DOOR PANEL MAP POCKET.

6. POP OUT INSIDE MIRROR COVER TRIANGLE AND REMOVE.

7. REMOVE POWER WINDOW SWITCH PANEL OR WINDOW CRANK:

WHICHEVER APPLIES.

8. USING A PANEL REMOVAL TOOL, CAREFULLY POP OUT FASTENERS

AROUND SIDES AND BOTTOM OF DOOR, LIFT AWAY, AND REMOVE PANEL.

9. EXTRACT (3) SCREWS HOLDING SPEAKER, UNPLUG SPEAKER AND

REMOVE.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
As for the in dash receiver, use the brackets that are attached to the factory radio to mount the new one into the car. If the factory radio is double din, you will need a multi-pocket to fill the opening. Otherwise you can reuse the factory pocket if it came equiped with a single din radion
ksievers 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
thanks so much for the help.  I am actually pretty handy, but would like to have a clue as to what the panel removal tool does, that is, what are these clips shaped like and how does the tool function?  thanks again - KS.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
The clips are shaped like little bayonets and they have a tendency to break off or strip themselves when you tug on them by hang. The tool allows you to apply specific pressure on each individual clip, thus reducing the possibility that you'll break one off.
Cary
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

Camry install -- posted image.Should look something like that.  The part at the top is how it slides into the holes in the door panel, and then it's kinda hard to tell in the picture but there's a little angle/bend on the bottom section and this is what makes it snap  into the holes in the metal door frame.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
you'll find all your answers here...link for radio install...http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalToyCamry1StrR.htm and link for doors...http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalToyCamry1FDrSpk.htm...hope that helps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic