icon

mono-block wiring ?'s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p1209 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought the Autotek XS1600X.  Its a Mono block amp that's rated at 450 X 1 @ 4ohms, 900 X 1 @ 2ohms and 1500 x 1 @ 1ohm!  For now I just want to run a 12inch Kicker Solobaric (the round style).  I eventually plan to run 2 12L7's or possible 3...not sure! But anyway....

The amp has 2 sets of speaker inputs.  The positive terminal of one set is also marked "bridged".  Why is this?  I've never owned a monoblock amp before and just assumed there was only one set of speaker inputs!  To wire it to the Solo would I just use the Positive and Negative terminal of  one set?  Or would I use the Positive marked "bridged" and the negative of the other set??

Thanks for the help?

pdzcallday 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
all you have to do is just hook the speaker up to ONE of the outputs. the amp briges it self.
p1209 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Gotcha, thanks....just curious though!!  why there is two set though?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

It’s for convenience, it’s easier to wire each sub to the amp then it is to bridge the subs together and then wire them to one channel.

p1209 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Autotek has answered the question for me!  Here is the response from their Tech Support!  Thanks for your replies too!!

"FROM AUTOTEK"

The confusion is our fault. There are two sets of +/-- terminals, and the two + terminals are connected inside, as are the two -- terminals. It was made this way so that a 2-ohm speaker load could be put on each +/-- pair of terminals, and they would be in-parallel, for a 1-ohm total load on the amp.

You can connect a 1-ohm load to either +/-- pair of terminals.

You cannot "bridge" a single channel amp--so the markings are actually irrelevant and confusing.

Best Regards,
Peter

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic