icon

home made dual sub box tips?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JPHill 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
i have a dual chamber sealed sub box that i made and it is for two 12's i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i should do to it to make it sound its best when its done??i have some polyfill but how much should i use?should i paint it or use bondo?it is 1cubic ft. per chamber how much fill should i use for each? any other ideas would be good thanks
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
Use caulk to seal the inside edges of the chambers. Don't forget to seal around your terminal assembly as well. You want those chanbers airtight, so don't be afraid to run a thick bead. Hopefully you ran a bead of at least wood glue along the edges of the wood when you screwed it together? Did you use drywall screws, or a pneumatic nailgun? Either would work. For 12's, I would suggest 3/4" MDF for building the enclosure.
I believe the general rule of thumb is 1 pound of polyfill per cubit foot of airspace. Do not staple it to the enclosure, if you do it will cancel the effect. I have heard of people stapling insulation before, then pulling it back out to make a flush square again, but I have never done it personally. With the polyfill, just puch it in there and let it sit. Try to keep it away/off of the cone, but it may shift onto it as you drive the vehicle. You can glue the polyfil to the walls of the chambers, but again you run the risk of it cancelling the effect. Polyfill basically slows down the sound wave, allowing it more time to expand (like it would in an enclosure with more internal volume).
Bondo? Are you referring to a vinal or laminate covering instead of paint or carpet? Either way that's up to you. You wont really affect the acoustics that much (not that the human hear could tell) by applying different coverings. That's mailny personal taste and preference.
Here's a link to some good Basic Enclosure Building Techniques
Here's another link on Basic Enclosure Covering Techniques
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic