icon

e-bay fiberglass mat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
hey everyone. I am just getting into fiberglassing, and I have no experience with it. I just wanted to know what e-type fiberglass mat is. They have it on e-bay at this link:
http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&category=26451&item=2426271582
do you think this would work for a sealed fiberglass enclosure, or am I better off going to kragen's and getting the Bondo brand fiberglass? i am somewhat on a budget, so i'm just trying to save money, but i know i shouldn't save money on something that is unreliable. thanks for any input.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
that fiberglass mat will work just fine but i would suggest the 2.1 oz ones he is selling.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
O yea and 20 yards is a ton of mat.
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
E-glass is normal mat. S-glass is lighter,stronger and costs more
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2003 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
well, i'm not too worried about the weight. i'm pretty sure the weight difference between e-glass and s-glass won't be enough to dramatically affect my getting from point A to B, since I'd rather get there loud and clean than fast.
oh, and as for the 2.1 oz vs the 1.3 oz, what is the difference between applying the two? would you need less layers if using the 2.1 oz? i would just like to know why you would suggest the 2.1 oz over the 1.3 oz.
one last thing, thank you, pureRF and iaudio, for your replies.
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
The 1.3 and 2.1 will all do the same thing. Im doing a box soon and im gonna use 1.5 so 1.3 would work just fine but if u get the 2.1 u need alot more resin to saturate it, BUT less layers are needed. So whichever is your preference they both will work fine and in the end come out good. what kinda shape will the box be? like what car how many subs exct.
iaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
He's selling veilmat, which is good for hiding print through but is not intended for structural peices. For reinforcement you're much better off with a 1.5 oz chop mat.
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
aggie altima try going to http://www.shopmaninc.com/ and looking at their fiberglass mat. They have great prices on all their stuff. try just ordering mat from them and getting a polyester resin at a homedepot or somwhere like that.
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
okay, i somewhat understand the veilmat, that it is intended as an outside layer, but can it be used for an enclosure, if i just added more layers and some ribs? and if i used rope as ribs, what type of rope and when do i apply it?
as for the enclosures, i want to make two seperate enclosures for two 12" punch hx2's. I want to place them in each corner where the taillights are, faced towards the opposite headlight (i.e. sub at left taillight faces the right headlight), and maybe invert the subs to make more room inside the box while keeping the box as small as i can. this is all going into a nissan altima.
iaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

You can use veilmat for structural peices, but you're going to use a lot of it. For rope reinforcement I would stick with natural fibers. Polyester and nylon might work OK but I would test a small peice first.

http://www.shopmaninc.com (US composites) has the best prices I've found without ordering in bulk.

The b440 premium polyester resin is a little better than the resin you'll find at Home Depot, for about the same price.

http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm has a bubble gum scented resin if the smell bothers you.

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/glassing2/ This is a tutorial that could help you with the enclosures for your altima.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic