icon

1990 Caddy remote start Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1990caddy 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I am in the middle of installing a remote start in my 90 deville, I originally thought I had a pass system in it but after I ordered the transponder bypass kit I found out it was a VATS system. Anyway, I hooked up the remote start without the bypass kits and everything works fine (when I have the key in the ignition of course). Now the only thing I am trying to figure out is how to wire up the bypass system, I heard you can use a relay and a resistor to bypass it to save some money, but i already have the kit, my biggest problem is have 8 billion wires spliced into the ignition wire between the 12 volt+ for the alarm remote start and the bypass kit, and there ain't too much room under that dash for splicing!! When I read the instructions on how to install the kit it seems like I only have about 3 wires to hook up as compared to Passlock 1&2 which have about 10 or so, and I can't find the wires coming down from the ignition from the sensor for the key every schematic I look at has them as different colors!!. Any help or advice would be most appreciated>  Thanks

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
There only 2 wires on that system and they are very thin gauge white wires inside anh Orange casing. The orange casing actually looks like a regular wire, except it is a little flatter than it is round. If you want to use the bypass kit you got, go ahead. Otherwise you can use a relay and a resistor. let me know if you want to use the relay and resitor method and I can fill you in. Either way you do it, you will need to cut one white wire and tap into the other. To get the resistence, just put the leads of a DMM on the both sides of the resistor on the key.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
1990caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well this morning I went out to the car and found those two wires in the orange casing, at first I wasnt sure if those were them, so I read out each wire seperatly with a multi meter both with the key in and out of the ignition and I saw the change in resistance so I figured that those were the wires, now that I read your reply I KNOW they are. Well I tried to hook up my bypass kit that I have as per the diagram provided by the manufacturer and it still doesnt work, but I wasnt sure whether or not to cut and wires on the car, and if I have to cut into a wire which one do I cut into, they are both just white? I was going to use the relay and resistor but I can't find a resistor with the correct resistance, so I figured I had the bypass kit so I am going to go ahead and use it. The particular kit that I have is BYPASSKIT, it says its for use with Passlock 1, passlock 2, and VATS, and that its self learning. I don't know if that'll help or not but, I can't figure this stupid thing out and I am an avionics electrician in the US Navy and work on 50 million dollar aircraft electrical systems everyday, pretty ironic!
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2003 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
You need to cut one and tap the other I belive.   have only used a module once on a VATS. You can use a trimpot instead of a resistor if you want. There is no difference between those two wires. All those wires do is connect one wire to each side of the resistor in the key, so they are interchangeable. if you want try thr resistor and trimpot method, I'll type it out for you. The module you have should work fine though. The resistence only has to be within 20% i have heard. I would look for it with in 5% though.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
1990caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

ok, well I would rather do whatever is easier, and since I have the kit I guess that would be the easiest way? Although the resistor and relay way sounds pretty easy too. The thing is, is that with the bypass kit I have, the instructions for wiring arent very clear, I guess I will mess with it a little more tomorrow and see what I end up with, today when I tried to hook up the kit I didnt actually cut one wire for the VATS I just spliced the one wire into it, but the only other question I have is, if I cut the wire for the VATS system, and hook up the one wire that the kit tells me to, which side of the wire do I connect to, the side going up the column to the key, or the side going to the VATS module? The second wire for the VATS system doesnt get used at all? because the instruction from that kit tells me to hook up a ground to it? Maybee I am wrong, because that sounds pretty wierd. Anyway, lemme know what you think.

Thanks, Jack

1990caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well project remote start is a success!! I got it working this afternoon and successfully bypassed the VATS system using the resistor/relay method, it worked good, I needed a 6.04k resistor for my key but I was only able to find a 5.6k ohm resistor at radio shack, so I wired it up and bingo! It worked, as for the bypass module I bought for 41 bucks......if you are using it for a VATS system it is the biggest rip off I have ever seen, I spent 8 bucks including tax and bypassed it myself. I am going to attempt to return it to the company, because I dont need it, or I will try to sell it on Ebay since it works for Passlock 1 and 2. I will have to see what the company says first, but thanks a lot for the guidance jRilla it helped!!
jrilla 
Posted: August 04, 2003 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
No problem. I am a little curious how you wired the relay and resistor though. You may want to replace that resistor with a closer value if you can find one from an electronics store. Radio shack has neevr impressed me with their resisitor values.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
1990caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2003 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

Actually, it was really easy I had it hooked up in a about a half an hour and running heres how I did it, I bought a 30 amp 5 terminal relay, I hooked up a 12 volt constant power to terminal 86, I cut ONE wire to the VATS system, I took the end that goes to the ignition and connected it to terminal 87a and took the other end that goes to the Passkey/VATS decoder and hooked it up to terminal 30. I then connected the resistor to terminal 87 and then spliced the other end of the resistor to the other wire for the VATS/Passkey (the one I didnt cut). Then I found a Neg(-) output from the remote start and connected that to terminal 85 on the relay. The only problem I ran into is that the way I had it set up, with the Neg output from the remote start triggering the relay was that I didnt have any Neg outputs!! So I took the 12 volt constant and hooked it up to the accessory (orange) wire and took that neg from terminal 85 on the relay and hooked it up to the chassis ground. It works well but the only thing is, is that the relay is alway on when the car is running and I noticed yesterday that the relay got a little warm, I don't think it will be a problem because people use relays on fog light and headlights, and they get warm, but I am pulling a little bit of Aperage through that relay due to it being hooked up to the accessory wire, (A/C, heat, stereo, etc) But the relay is rated up to 30amps, and all that stuff can't possible pull more than 25, so I will just have to wait and see what happens, the worst that can happen is that the relay will burn out and the VATS system won't let the car start! Ha!! Ok, well thanks again for your help, your a life saver man!! I learned a lot!!

Jack

jrilla 
Posted: August 05, 2003 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
How many functions do you need the (-) out when runningwire for? if you only have 2 or maybe 3 you can use diodes to split the wire. I would recommend this over having the relay on all the time. Actually it is not critical if you just want to keep it the way you have it. if the relay ever fails, you will still be able to start the car with the key.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
congoman 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  

I just saw this post and would like to add to it.   I recently just installed a remote start on a 1990 deville also and  didn't need the relay at all. I did the same like thing with checking the resistance on key and all, but with the 2 thin wires coming down from the ignition in the orange tube, I just cut both wires and jumped the resister with the correct value across the  2 wires away from the ignition side.  worked perfectly.  i don't know about the relay part , it seems unneccessary. but if it worked, then cool...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic