Svc woofer to 2 amplifiers ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spl/luxy 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hello to everybody in the forum.

My question does anybody know of a way to connect a svc woofer to 2 amplifiers.If so can it be wired to run at different impedences and would there be a large power loss from having to use resistors and or diodes betweeen the woofer and amplifiers.. well thank you in advance for any help that you guys might be able to offer

Svc woofer to 2 amplifiers ? -- posted image.

Australia's Loudest Street Max 3-4 Car Ever!
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
It's never recommended to run 1 sub, SVC or DVC, from 2 seperate amplifiers. You will rip the sub to pieces
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
spl/luxy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged  
  Well thats funny cause i have been running a typr r (alpine) 15 inch off 2 mrd300's for about a year and it still works fine.If what you are saying is true why do a high amount of spl oriented cars run multiple amplifier configurations to there sub's.... I think that you might be a little misinformed on this.. I would say that if you did not set the amps up correctly ,example gains etc you could do some serious damage. However runnin a dvc off a 2 channel amp running in stereo(very common) would be exactly the same as runnin a dvc or even svc off 2 amplifiers.  Someone correct me if they think this sounds wrong.
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Perhapse I should have expressed it differently. Yes it is possible (and safe) with the right equipment. But there isn't alot of that around. In your case, it was possible, but it is not a safe setup.
Perhapse you would be interested in reading an article from JL Audio on the dangers of Independant Wiring
1) Even though many people use Independant Wiring, they are poorly informed before they attempt it. Usually their information comes from a salesman trying to make his money, and not caring about yours.
2) Just because it works, doesn't mean that it is safe for the equipment. How many people cause their amp to clip and not even realize just how damaging to the amp and sub it is?
And I didn't say it wasn't possible, just not recommended. Now, there are configurations designed for using multiple amps and 1 sub. Kicker's KX series with amp strapping is a perfect example. In those configurations the amps are specifically designed to work together and the second amp's controls are completely bypassed (meaning both amps are controlled by the 1st amp's controls). So both amps work as 1 amplifier. Using amps that are not specifically designed to do this is not recommended. I believe the experts on this forum will agree with me on that one.
Lets look at your current setup...
Alpine MRD-M300
300 x 1 @ 2ohms based on a 14.4v electrical system
200 x 1 @ 2ohms based on a 12v electrical system
Alpine SWR-1541D or SWR-1521D
2 or 4 ohm DVC
500 RMS
1500 Peak
More than likely you the 2ohm version and are running each Voice Coil from a seperate amp. In that case you are getting the 200 x 1 rating from each amp, and only 400 watts total to the sub (unless of course you have upgraded your alternator and entire electrical system to a 14.4 volt system). Recommended operating wattage is 5oo watts minimum. Those subs can operate safely up to at least 800 - 1000 watts
Hopefully you dont have the 4ohm version wired in parallel and bridged to each amp. I'm not going to even go any further with that one!
I based the 2ohm assumption on the fact that the MRD-M300 does not have RCA pre-outs (the MRD-M500 does, but not the MRD-M300), so the only way you could have 1 sub using both amps is by sending a seperate signal to each amp, and then using those signals to the sub.
Again, I must stress that even though running a DVC from 2 seperate amplifiers (or 1 voice coil to a seperate channel, or 1 SVC from multiple amps that aren't designed to do so) is possible, it is not recommended.
If you're still interested in using 2 amps to run 1 SVC, then look into the documentation for the Kicker KX series, or others, that are designed to do it safely, properly, and wont damage your equipment.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
spl/luxy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

First of all i would like to apoligise as i am running mrd-m500's not the 300's Sorry about that i have 3 cars.

Now you are correct in saying that i am running 2ohm plus 2ohm Voice coil configuration.This is giving the woofa approx 800wrms based on the specs.probably would be a little more as i have upgraded the battery and alternator.

Now you said that it is not advisable to run products this way if they are not designed for it , and i agree totally however Alpine Electronics state in there 2002 sales catolouge,

"A dvc subwoofer with each coil wired to it's own amplifier in parralel presents a 2ohm load to the amplifiers.The major benefit of having 1 sub driven by 2 amplifiers is of course very high amounts of power available to drive the subwoofer."

I do agree that there are not a lot of products out there designed to do what i am doing.However this was an alpine reccomendation (not a dealer)so i beleive that it would be safe to assume that this product is safe to use in this manner.

I am interested in the svc dual amp thing as it is not done a lot in Australia so i will check out the kicker gear you suggested and thank you again for your thoughts.

wvsquirrel 
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
No problem. I've seen a lot of manufacturers say that it is possible and list the benifits. But not many list the negative impact of independant wiring because it would keep people from buying their products. I can honestly say that the Alpine SWR-1521D Owners Manual is the first one that I have ever seen showing independant wiring as a viable wiring option. Maybe Alpine knows something that the rest of us don't!
A lot of people in this forum have asked the same question about wiring a DVC to either 2 channels or 2 amps because they were told that they could do it "safely" or that "it wouldn't present a problem". Then after some research they find out what could, and usually does happen (you seem to be one of the few lucky ones!). You'll be hard pressed to find an "expert" on this site that will suggest independant wiring as anything other then an absolute "last resort" wiring method.
The MRD500's are 400 x 1 @ 2ohms on a 12v electrical system, so you're running good on total RMS (a lot better then the M300's!)
Here's a link to the Kicker KX series amps, as well as the KX series Manual and KX series Tech Sheet. They have information on amp strapping the KX series, as well as using 1 bass control for both amps.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out or if you have any other questions
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
spl/luxy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks heaps mate for your help and once again i apoligise for my typing mistake (it's 12.30 am here) and i will go and have a look at those sites you just posted.

P.s. if you eva come to Brisbane let me know i will give you a guided tour....

P.s.s Have you ever had any experience with dd Subwoofers i am thinking of purchasing 2X 9915's i think they are (these subs are relatively new to Australia) so there is not a lot of people using them.

wvsquirrel 
Posted: August 06, 2003 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
No problem. I've made my share too! I work 12 hour days from 2am - 2pm so I know what you mean!
I've read some good reviews on DD9915's, but have not heard them personally. From what I've read they are mainly an SPL sub, but have good SQ as well.
If I got the specs right, the DD9915's are 1500RMS/3000Peak, and are available in either DVC or QVC (Quad Voice Coil). That's a lot of amperage needed, at least 3000 total RMS. There are multiple amps out there capable of doing that, but they will cost you $'s!
Here's a link to the Digital Designs DD9900 Series web page.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic