icon

first project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

So here's the deal: I've just decided to make some sealed glass boxes next weekend (one on each side of the trunk behind the taillights) to run a Kicker Comp VR and an L5 (12's).  Spent all of yesterday reading tutorials, including Chris' and I'm left with these questions:

What type of glass sheet and resin work best for enclosures, and in what order do I put them on?

Should I use poly-fill as I do when making an MDF box?

Finally, I need to account for the driver's displacement when calculating volume, right?  (It's been sometime since I've had to make a box, and I can't remember if the spec accounts for the driver displacement or not.)

Based on what I've been reading, fiberglass seems to be much easier than I previously thought but I still want to make it as strong and well-sounding as possible.  Any advice is welcomed.

bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well I've figured out the volume\displacement matter, but I still haven't found out what types of fiberglass to use or if I should poly-fill.  I'm really not familiar with fiberglass and it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

I would use either the comp VRs or the L5s. Mixing square and round subs would probably look odd.

1.5 oz chop mat is a good general purpose mat that is easy to lay up and make a strong finished product. Use a decent quality polyester resin. Both are available here:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/polyesters.html

If you think it helps you can use polyfill.

The best way to determine enclosure volume is to use packing peanuts.

bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

Actually I've already got the L5 and Comp Vr, and right now they're in MDF enclosures.  In about a week I've got two L7 12's and two KX800.2's coming, and there won't be enough room to have all of them in MDF's.  This is why I'm going with glass boxes: it'll save some space.  I do understand the cosmetic concern, but until I get my new car I'm more worried about the sound.  The CompVr has a higher response, and until I get the new car I won't bother getting the 6.5 and 8 mid-bass to bridge the gap between the subs and midrange.  Personally I think that the higher bass frequencies are the most neglected in people's systems, but in my case it's quite the opposite.  The only reason I don't have them yet is because I'm waiting for a suitable receptacle for my dream system.

Thanks for the response, now I can get what I need for the weekend.

P.S. The only reasons I have for doing the glass are space and most importantly, practice.  My dream system will consist of 6 subs, 4 12's and 2 10's, and I'm expecting that I'll need to fiberglass the trunk.  The front will consist of something like 3.5's, 6.5 components, and two 8" mid-bass, the back will have something like 6x9's, 6.5's, and two 6.5 mid-bass, so I'll need to be well-versed in the art of glassing if I want to keep my new car looking stock.

Livinloud86Z28 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
that sounds like too many speakers, in my experience less is not better, the best sounding systems i have heard consist of 4-6 speakers and 1 or two high quality subs
Its only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything
i wish being stupid were grounds for capitol punishment

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic