icon

320 bucks for a new head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

If you want good pure sound, eclipse is the way to go.  If you look at the specs of most Eclipse head units the wattage ratings are lower (40x4).  That 's because they produce a better signal than other brands so they don't need to have the high wattage internal amp.  The only draw back is that they don't make detachable face units.  But to compensate for that, their head units use a security (Eclipse Secuirty Network) feature that is unique to the owner.  Basically, when you connect it and use it for the first time you'll have to to choose a code and a pass key (usually a cd from you collection).  So if you set that up and then it gets stolen,  the person who stole it can't use it because they'll need the code and the cd to unlock it. 

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   320 bucks for a new head unit - Page 2 -- posted image.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

save ya some $$

http://thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_headunits.html#san%20jose

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

If you want good pure sound, eclipse is the way to go.  If you look at the specs of most Eclipse head units the wattage ratings are lower (40x4).  That 's because they produce a better signal than other brands so they don't need to have the high wattage internal amp.  The only draw back is that they don't make detachable face units.  But to compensate for that, their head units use a security (Eclipse Secuirty Network) feature that is unique to the owner.  Basically, when you connect it and use it for the first time you'll have to to choose a code and a pass key (usually a cd from you collection).  So if you set that up and then it gets stolen,  the person who stole it can't use it because they'll need the code and the cd to unlock it. 

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   320 bucks for a new head unit - Page 2 -- posted image.
manning58 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
  • Ok, i know eclipse is good but what good is the pass key and code when you dont have the unit anymore???? Is the theif gonna give it back and say gee I dont have the pass key so here you go.

i dont mean to sound sarcastic but i would not want a hu that didnt have a detachable face.  i have had way too many stolen.  I suggest you have a top of the line security system if you have an eclipse.

Niko Suave
Self Installer
troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well I'll defintally look into eclipse.

But have any of you had experience with the newer panasonic's, you know the silver ones with a blue screen.  I've been looking into CQ-DFX983U. I really like that style, and it has mp3/wma capibilities.  What are your views on that.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=62911&catGroupId=11085&modelNo=CQ-DFX983U&surfModel=CQ-DFX983U

If I went witht aht model it would save me about 100 bucks and then I could go buy some 6.5's for my door.  Like some Alpine type r's or RCE 116 MB's.  But maybe I should go with more expensive ones. What do you think?

R.Troy
bbmecp 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
The only complaint I have about the 8500 is the fact that pioneer did a very bad job on the double face system. It is a known and very common problem with the ribbon cable setup on the faces. At the shop I worked at we were an authorized repair center so people from all over sent us there radios and i would fix about 15 a month for broken ribbon cables. if you look at the internals the 6500, 7500, and 8500 are exactly the same only the displays are different and i believe the plug is different on the 8500 but dont quote me on that. But hey i still have my 6400 and i think it was one of the best radios minus mp3's. The new line of Eclipse is pretty good but be sure to get the one with built in MP3 because the ones that are higher priced dont come with it. You have to buy a module thatmight be out know but it is like 250 bucks and is bulky. it is about the size of a kenwood XM brain. The best radios i have ever owned was the sony harddrive and the sony mp-70. I have a toyota on 42 inch super swamper tires and go mudding about everyday and i couldnt make those skip, not that it is bad with my pioneer but i was alot happier with my sony's on the skipping question.
everyone calls me subwoofer
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic