icon

Locating internal amp in a Camaro

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ViperFreak_01 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
My brother recently purchased a '99 Camaro. If I understand correctly, it has spaces for (4) 6.5" drivers and (2) 4.5" drivers in the vehicle. He's got two 6.5" drivers in his car now. Anyway, he tried hooking up his two whole speakers behind the front seats and found only low end going through them...probably an internal crossover if I had to guess? I was wondering if anyone knew where to locate the factory installed amplifier in the Camaro? I am looking into getting him the other drivers for his car and would gladly take any suggestions from those of you who have dealt with Camaros before. He isn't looking to dump a lot of money in them, and he isn't the type to drive around with his system cranked open. He just wants a good all around EQ...Thank you in advance for your time and help!
-ViperFreak-
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I did a really nice system in a 97 R.S. camaro. 3 jl 12's and 4 cdt 6.5 drivers. The factory amp should be located in the right rear quarter panel. It is tucked back a little ways. Any other questions let me know. I tore my car from top to bottom and am pretty familiar with it.
ViperFreak_01 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you...I will be sure to check there! How did you install your (3) JL 12" drivers?? My brother will not want to do any kind of cosmetic damage what-so-ever to his car...also..do you know of any place he could purchase a 6.5" driver mount for the front door speakers? I guess whoever sold him his car ripped out the 'premium' 8 driver system...??
donkason 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
I had a custom box built from my local JL audio dealer. It fit right in the rear hatch and I mounted my amps right under the box in the second smaller well of the hatch. I think crutchfield should have these driver mounts you are looking for. I purchased the adapters for 6.5 in. drivers because factory was a 6.75 driver. I ended up not even using them. As far as cosmetic damage there was none. I had the 3 12's a soundstream 1000 watt class a amp, a 4 channel lil' wonder for my components, a optima yellow top batt., 2 crossovers, balanced line inputs, a stinger 1 farad cap, a batt. isolator, and all of my distribution blocks back there. There is a lot more space in there than it seems. I had to sacrifice my spare tire and jack but what the hell. The best thing is that this was a stealth system. I could flip the cargo cover down and you couldn't see squat.
ViperFreak_01 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for all your help again...I will take this information to my brother and let him do with it what he will...I am sure he'll like the fact that he can cover the system and make it virtually invisible...One last question...did you compromise any sound clarity with the cargo cover down or was only bass back there and coming through pretty clear? Also, did you notice any rattles that you could throw a heads up my way to check in the future should he decide to go all out and get a complete system like I am suggesting he does? Thanks again!
donkason 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
When I played my system I had to have my cargo cover up or it would lay on the speakers. I suggest having it up when you are playing your stereo. If you don't want to go stupid big you can get a stealth box from JL audio that fits a 10 in. w0 sub in the right rear corner of your hatch. There is a small little cavern there and it fits right in and it is a stealth box. I always noticed rattles in the rear interior panels where they connect to eachother. I just used double sided stick tape or some door insulation and put it between the 2 surfaces and that should clear up most of the problem. The great thing about camaros is that you don't have to do a lot for them to sound good.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic