icon

03 Z71 Tahoe with Bose: Help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
westbayou 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought an 03 Z71 Tahoe with the Bose stereo.  Not too shabby for a factory stereo, but I want to add a Kicker Comp 10" to the factory system.  I bought a PAC SNI-15 LOC to tap into the factory head unit to run the RCA plugs back to the amp.  Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me find a wiring diagram for this vehicle so I have no clue which wires I should tap into with the LOC.  Does anyone have any suggestions or have you done this install before?  The Bose system seems to be the real headache here as fall as the install goes.  Basically all I am trying to do is add an amp and sub and that is it!  I did not think this was going to be the pain it has turned out to be. 
Montrealler 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I hoope my experience could help ....
first the sub's amp is located in the center console u defenatly need to reach this one
the connector facing the backglass is the power input and speaker output
disconect this plug and with a dmm check for a pair of wire that says 2 to 4 ohms u shall find four pair giving this reading because subs are dvc (double voice coil)
make sure you hook a pair from left side and a pair from right side so that your sub continue playing even if balance is not center
Then if you have no bass and u are certain to hook the right wires invert one of the pair u are probably out of phase
if u need more info ask me always glad to help ...
Good work!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

You don’t need to go to the amp to do all of this. The easiest way to do it and to be sure you have the correct wires is to tap into both rear speakers right before the actual speaker. Then connect them to the high to low converter and you will have your signal. Then run your power and you should be good to go.

Montrealler 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
bberman just in case do rear speaker are frequency crossovered by the amp ?
westbayou 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't tapping into the rear speakers at the speaker require pulling off the entire door skin?  Sounds pretty involved to me.  In the 03' Tahoe Bose system, there is no factory sub, so I can't tap into that output.  The crossover is internal to the amp, so I question whether or not to tap the input or the output to get to a full signal, but now I am reading that the input is some kind of screwy "series 2" signal?  Almost would have been worthwhile to have jsut gotten the basic stereo and redone the whole thing! 
rgardjr 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

westbayou wrote:
Wouldn't tapping into the rear speakers at the speaker require pulling off the entire door skin?  Sounds pretty involved to me.  In the 03' Tahoe Bose system, there is no factory sub, so I can't tap into that output.  The crossover is internal to the amp, so I question whether or not to tap the input or the output to get to a full signal, but now I am reading that the input is some kind of screwy "series 2" signal?  Almost would have been worthwhile to have jsut gotten the basic stereo and redone the whole thing! 

It's not available yet, but hopefully soon.  PAC is making an adpater that should simplify the install:

The C2A-GM24 allows you to add a 2 channel aftermarket amplifier for GM vehicles with Class II data bus. What makes the C2A-GM24 unique is that is takes the fixed level audio signal from the factory head unit before it gets to the Bose® amplifier and gives you a variable output. The C2A-GM24 outputs are digitally controlled by the headunit's volume knob. You get full range audio signal, not a Bose® specific equalized output, highpassed or lowpassed output.

• 2 channel RCA outputs with left and right level adjustments for matching aftermarket amplifier/speaker audio signal to factory speakers.
• User selectable to fade out when adjusting factory radio to front or to rear. Or select to be non-fading output.
• +12volt remote turn-on output.
• Plug & Play, no hard wiring required

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/oem1.htm#c2agm24

westbayou 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well I got almost everything wired in, and it sounds pretty good.  The only thing I can't find for the life of me is a remote power antenae wire.  Everything seems to be computer controlled, not ignition, so this is proving to be a pain.  Any ideas?
exspook 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

I am having a similiar problem.  One - I have a 2003 tahow with the bose sound system.  I just bought a stock 2002 sub enclosure from ebay.  I would like to add an amp and a sub.  Is the C2A-GM24 what I need for this? 

2 - I would like to use the AUX function on my stereo. I know that this is usually used for the XM radio but there has to be a way to connect something else to this input.  Maybe an MP3 player.

T. Martinez
samdub 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
westbayou your power ant /accessories control on your 03 are data signal just use a relay and go too the fuse box  for 12v ignition turn on
westbayou 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Apparently the c2A-GM24 is what you need to do it without tapping into any wires.  I used an SMI-15 and it works great and was less expensive.  I caved in and bought a PAC Tr-4 to create a remote wire.  It was 13 bucks, and now I don't have to rig anything up through the fuse box.  The strereo sounds great.  I just have a Kicker Comp 10 in a sealed box.  I didn't feel like messing with that factory sub spot in the back because it will only accomodate an 8" sub.

The SMI-15 (from PAC) was extremely easy to wire into the Bose amp outputs.  Access was easy through the center console, and you tap into the wires on the harness with the blue clip.  Tan/Grey, and Light GREEN/ Dark Green.  The remote wire was the thing giving me the headache, but the TR-4 solved that easily.  Wish I could have gotten a c2A, but this worked just fine.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic