icon

what do you mean by 50 watts/channel?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neil313 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
can i use 300W 3 in 1 speaker? Ive already tested it and ive placed it to the rear connector but it didnt sound good. my speakers are distorted whenever i've put the volume to maximum. is there something wrong with my car stereo? tnx guys...
a beginner
troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
You are going to need an amp to play your music high quality at higher volumes.  When a head unti says "50 watts/Channel" it usually means 50 watts max into 4 channels.  Which means your getting around 22 watts constantly to each of your speakers.  Check the specs on your speaker.  What is the recomended watts RMS?  From that you can choose what amplifier to buy.  But it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your speakers or head unit.  By the way, what head unit are you using, and what speakers?
R.Troy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

What you are hearing is either the amplifier clipping or simply a gross amount of distortion caused by operating at "max volume."  This is alwasy going to happen, especially with cheaper equipment, and is why operating at "maximum" is a bad idea.

Like the poster above asked, what is your equipment?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic